Explanations

The car ride to Florentino’s place was a silent affair. He had so many questions to ask. 

“The man you saw, that is your son in law. Miguel Endrizzi,” said Florentino.

“I gathered as much. Who was the other kid and the boys?” asked Gustavo. Florentino looked at him through the mirror.

He had no idea how to explain the rest and chose to remain quiet till they reached Florentino’s flat. The one bedroom flat was the same place he lived earlier. Gustavo followed him upstairs. He opened the door and stepped in. Gustavo followed.

Florentino sat down on the sofa. He looked at Gustavo. The man sat down and looked around the house. His eyes locked on one photo on the wall. He spotted Alexander first. His son looked more like his father. The power, the aura oozed out of him. His face was expressionless, but Gustavo could see the smile. He had Syrus in his arms, at least two years younger than now. To his left, Miguel was leaning on his chest, Alexander’s arm around him. Miguel had a baby in his hand. He looked like Alexander when he was that age. Then he saw a lot of unfamiliar faces. Finally he was able to identify Andrew. The boy has grown into a man. He had a child in his hand and had his arms around the young man next to him. Andrew’s partner must be in his early twenties. He couldn’t place any other face in it. The photo next to that had Isabelle in it, holding Syrus to her heart. Syrus must be two or three in it. 

“Explain,” said Gustavo, a plea as he looked at Florentino.

“Your son, our Alex is simply a better person than any of us,” said Florentino.

There was silence.

“He picked them up from the streets and raised them. They are all Almaraz heirs. The blond boy you saw today, that is the first of them, Jules. He is married to Miguel’s brother Mikhail Endrizzi.Then the second one is Ezra, who is married to Andrew. The third is Sage. He is dating Sergio who plays for Imperatore. The fourth is Athen, the young brunette in there and the fifth is Juan, the smallest of those. The three older couple have kids of their own,” said Florentina.

Gustavo did not know how to respond to that, he had no clue.  He had a huge family that he did not know anything about. Gustavo listened as Flore told him what happened to Andrew. Gustavo felt the anger build up in him. Eleanor- that obsessive woman was a crucial part in taking Gustavo away from his family. He closed his eyes and breathed in and out to calm down a bit. 

“If they only met three years ago, How come Syrus-

“Syrus was the son of Alanto Armade and Achillo Patro. Yes, the sons of your deputees. They died protecting your son, orphaning their boy who was way too young back then. Alexander set him up at an orphanage at first and paid them well, sponsoring the whole place. I uncovered their financial frauds and moved the other children and Alexander took in Syrus. It was meant to be temporary. But two weeks with him and Syrus decided he is staying. The child was only two and Alexander- well, he gave in with grace. I mean who can resist the puppy dog eyes,” said Florentino amused. 

“Trust me, Alex would have died before letting the child go,” said Florentino.

Gustavo could imagine that. He has only spent fifteen minutes with the child, his grandson and it was still enough for him to make an impact. 

"What about you?" asked Florentino.

"When we were ambushed at the beach house, I remember falling in the sea, watched my house burn from the water, a good chunk of my family burning with it," said Gustavo deep in thought.

"I recovered in a village nearby. When I was capable of walking again, it was another year. I saw how you all were struggling to move on and had a semblance of peace. I didn't know how to cope with anything then. I left. I was in Africa for twelve years then. I adopted a village there before leaving. Now, I was in some of the Asian countries. I saw the - Eleanor's escape made news. That brought me here. I was under the impression that she died. Now I know what she did to my family, again," said Gustavo.

"Did you mean to say there was other Mafia involvement in the ambush?" asked Florentino.

"Yes, Galepo's. I thought you knew," said Gustavo.

"You think they will be alive if I knew?" asked Florentino.

They just looked at each other.

"What is your plan now?" asked Florentino.

"Eleanor. Her being alive is what brings a crucial question. There is someone who ratted us that day. I have an idea as to whom," said Gustavo.

Florentino nodded.

There was silence after that.

"Are you not going to say anything?" asked Gustavo.

"Good to have you back, Boss," said Florentino.

Gustavo knows he deserve it and doesn't push.

"You should freshen up. I am taking you to the den tomorrow," said Florentino.

Gustavo nodded.

----------

Gustavo freshened up and walked out to find Florentino already in bed. He sat down. Florentino was posing to be asleep and Gustavo was not going to poke him. 

He laid down on the other side. In the morning Gustavo woke up. Over the years that he lived alone he learned many things. Cooking was one of them. He cooked a small breakfast for both of them.

----------

Florentino stirred and saw Gustavo was not in bed. For a moment he worried if he dreamed about it all. But then he saw Gustavo's coat on the bedside. He sat up. He did his morning ablutions and walked out. He couldn't help but stare and watch as Gustavo cooked. 

"Well, we start to learn things when survival becomes the first priority," said Gustavo. Florentino did not dignify that with a response. There were a lot of things he wanted to say. He is not going to say any of them.

They sat down and ate. 

"So, tell me more about the kids," said Gustavo.

"You missed out. But I hope you stay because they are the best kids anyone can have," said Florentino. Gustavo nodded slowly.

He then told the man all about the boys. There was a small smile on Gustavo's face as he heard the stories about them.

Then, Florentino compiled all the information Gustavo gave about the possible betrayal. They were then deciding on the possible ways to tackle the Eleanor issue. Florentino was still furious with the wing that was responsible for Eleanor's escape.

-------------

NOTE: IMPORTANT/ This story is set  before the Epilogue of 'Owning The Player'.