Este

Gustavo couldn't wait to see the child. He did call him and visit him but that's never enough. They are led to the room. Este was curled in his bed reading a book, his glass perched on his nose. The kid looked up. He saw Gustavo and was on his feet in a flash and stuck to him.

Gustavo picked up the kid who was too small for his age.

"I missed you," said Este, his eyes wet as he hugged his father.

"I missed you too. Now don't cry," said Gustavo wiping his eyes. Then he turned to face Florentino who was glaring at him but stopped as soon as Este turned and smiled kindly at him.

"Este, I have someone to introduce you to" asked Gustavo. The child looked at Florentino curiously and returned the smile cautiously.

"Hello," said Este.

"Hello Este. My name is Florentino. I am a friend of your father's."

"He is our family, Este," said Gustavo.

Este beamed.

"You are a super cop. Father says you are the best," said Este. Florentino smiled.

"I wouldn't say super cop, but I am a good cop. So are you ready to leave Este?" asked Florentino, not wanting to stay at the orphanage and break his fragile heart again. He always give orphanages a miss because it made his heart cry.

Este looked like Christmas came early.

"We are leaving? We can go home? I can meet my brother?" asked Este. Florentino could only watch his childish enthusiasm as he and Gustavo helped him pack.

"You could have left him with me. Why here? Goodness, Gustavo did you learn nothing?" asked Florentino.

"I know this is not easy for you. Este would be sad and blame himself if he was there when you were coming to terms with this. I didn't want that pain on him," said Gustavo. Florentino just looked him for a moment.

"That was thoughtful. He does seem like a very sensitive child," said Florentino.

"He is"

"Do you think Alexander will take well to this? The younger ones will welcome him into him into the fold. But I am worried about Alex," said Gustavo.

"I would say it's a foolish question considering that he raised children as his siblings.  But I know him. We will see. It's not going to be easy," said Florentino.

"I am ready," said Este, all excited as he came over, fully ready to leave.

"Perfect, come on then," said Florentino and extended his hand to Este who took it as they walked out, Este with a skip on his steps.

-----------

Alexander was laying on the grass, head on Miguel's lap. Both his son's were close by. Zyren was asleep in his chest. Syrus was running around with his cousins.

"He should be back by now," said Alexander, agitated. He hates it when his father steps out these days. Alexander would never admit it. There was a fear of losing him again even though he has barely spoken to the man. But he knew Miguel knew how he felt from the look he was getting.

"Now where is he? Maybe will call our cop and check," said Juan, the one to break first.

"Yeah, maybe we should," said Jules.

But then the car entered the compound.

"Our cop is also here," said Athen smiling.

Meanwhile inside the car, a similar conversation was happening.

"Ah, looks like they did not miss you at all," said Florentino wryly.

"And you. They have missed you badly," said Gustavo.

"So you remember? It's not just your big brother and cousin- you have more brothers and small nephews you can play with," said Florentino.

"Yes"

To say Este is excited would be an understatement. They both stepped out and Gustavo opened the door for Este who jumped out.

The boys were on Florentino in a moment. Then looked at Gustavo in askance.

"This is Esteban, Este for us. I- he is all of your brother. I found him when he was one and we have not really separated after that," said Gustavo.

"Wow, this is a family trait," said Juan snickering. Alexander shot him a glare and Juan hid behind Florentino. There was pin drop silence. And like always, Syrus saved the day.

"Hi Este. I am Syrus. Would you like to join us to play hide and seek?"

Este beamed.

"Yes. I would love that," he said and let Syrus drag him to the play area.
Alexander was not looking at his father.

"I adopted him when he was two. I didn't want to take him through the storm of my arrival. He is from Bolzano. At the orphanage there after a drug cartel war took his parents. I couldn't leave him behind after meeting him and it has been a great journey. I hope you all will consider him your family too," said Gustavo.

"Of course, more the merrier," said Athen amused and went after the kids before they tore open half the place and to be away from the incoming explosion.

"Yes. I should probably just get to know him right away. It's my duty as the youngest to tell him our ways and enlist him into the team," said Juan.

"That makes it sound like a cult," said Mikhael rebukingly.

"Are we not? " asked Juan innocently and fled the area.

"Oh God, brother might murder someone," said Sage to Sergio who nodded.

"Yes, we should start right away. Let's go," said Sage and left grabbing Sergio with him.

All the older ones stayed back.

"Good for him. Miguel, I need a drink. Tell the kids I am working if they ask for me," said Alexander who then turned and left.

"I will just go check on him. Keep an eye on the kids, Jule," said Miguel and rushed after Alexander.

"He seems like a great child, father-in-law. Your jealous son has fled the scene. How about a drink?"asked Mikhael.

"Sounds great," said Gustavo and they both too left.

"Andrew?"

"Coming," said Andrew and followed after Mikhael.

Florentino looked at Jules and Ezra.

"He took us all from streets. Why is he-

"He loves you all, raised you and doesn't mind sharing his father with you all. But Este is new. When he was young, Alexander was very possessive of Gustavo. Hell, Jen used to say having another child is out of question because Alex would completely freeze anyone out who dared come near his father if around his own age. I was actually surprised when he took you in but then I saw him grow and evolve. But look at it from Alex's point of view. He didn't have his dad for two decades and lived thinking he is dead when there is this son who actually had his dad by his side. That will take some time because we all know Alex is not going to freeze out Este forever," said Florentino.

"Este?" asked Jules take aback to see the child near them. The kid looked tearful. Juan who came after him was also standing there. He did not hear the conversation.

"I was looking for Father- to play with me and Syre. I- Does big brother not like me?" asked Este. He knew the name Alexander. It's his big brother's name.

All were stunned speechless for a moment.

--------------------------------

What do you think?