Transition

Florentino looked at Gustavo who was standing in the balcony to his room. He walked over. He had decided to stay over for a few days till Este gets settled in.

"What is it?" asked Florentino, placing his hand on Gustavo's. They have not discussed themselves, their future. For now, they were healing together, learning to forgive.

Gustavo turned.

"I was just thinking about the years that went by," said Gustavo. Florentino squeezed his hand gently.

"It's in the past. We have no option but to move forward," said Florentino.

Gustavo looked at him.

He placed his hand on Florentino's cheek.

"I thought you would never forgive me," said Gustavo.

Florentino thought so too in the week he spent buried in blankets, crying.

"Well, I am 58 and you are 60. There is no time to hold grudges. Izabel was saying the best we can do is make most of the time we have," said Florentino.

"Does it extend to more than our friendship?" asked Gustavo.

"I don't know. Maybe you can start working on doing it right this time," said Florentino. Gustavo chuckled, trying to keep tears at bay as he cupped Florentino's cheek with his left hand. Florentino let himself enjoy the moment and let Gustavo pull him into a firm hug. They stood like that for some time.

They were reminded of a time when they were young. They never discussed this with Alexander but, Gustavo and Jen had decided to get divorced. Gustavo was old enough to understand then that appearances doesn't matter, not really. Then, he had also managed to slowly get out of the ideals drilled into his head by his father.

"Did you keep the ring?" asked Gustavo.

Florentino looked at him. It was a promise ring. The man had given it to him two weeks before he and Jen were lost to them all. Florentino nodded and then unbuttoned his shirt a bit. There, tied in a chain, lay the promise ring.

They kissed, a very chaste kiss. They broke off and looked at each other. He pulled Florentino into his arms and they stood there, in each other's arms.

"How is Este faring? Do you think he is settling down? I feel like he is still on edge," said Gustavo.

"I get that feeling too. We will help him settle. The boys have been good to him," said Florentino, his hand wrapping around Gustavo's hip as he stood there.

-------------------

Este watched Finding Nemo with the rest of them. Syrus was pressed against him. He absolutely loved all of them. Syrus is his first friend ever.

But Este can't help but feel that he is not welcome here. He liked everyone really. All were kind to him. They treated him like a brother. He was told many family stories. Juan told him how brother had picked him up from the streets, all of them.

Este was told that he had a big brother when he was 4. He had gone to his crèche and came back crying because he didn't have a sibling. He then grew up hearing stories about his big brother. He would boast about it with his class mates. His brother was a larger than life figure for him. When his father said he would meet his big brother, he always imagined a different welcome. Of course, he always wondered if his brother will like him.

His brother was all that he imagined and more. He just didn't like Este. He is not blind. He knew. But his brother-in-law, Mig, he has been great.

Este tried not to cry as he thought about it. Flore, his father's best friend tells him that everything will be fine. Este believes him, he does. Flore has a comforting scent and Este falls asleep fast when he stays in Flore's arms.