CHAPTER 1

Los Angeles, California

"What do you want from us Jazz?" Her mother asked her but was met with a blank stare so she repeated her question. "I said, what do you want from us Jazz?!"

Jackie Armstrong, or as she was fondly called, Jazz was an eccentric, feisty and stubborn teenager who seldom heeded to instructions or advice. She was infamous for getting into trouble with nearly everyone.

Her principal had called her parents to the school for the umpteenth time to report their daughter's unruly behaviour and threatened to get her expelled if it continued. Jazz had been caught with alcohol which was highly prohibited in the school and to top it off, she beat up one of her classmates who refused to cover up for her while she ditched school.

"Which reminds me, if you weren't in school then where were you?" Her father, Michael asked her.

"My friend was sick so I went to visit her at the hospital," Jazz answered.

"Do you see how confident she is lying to us?" Michael asked his wife, a surprised look on his face.

"I'm not lying."

"Shut up," Her parents chorused.

"Jazz," her mother, Darlene, started. "You are our only child and that is why we gave you everything, our love, time, care, affection, money. We made sure you were always happy. We made sure you had everything you want and need. You always had the best toys, you wore the best clothes and shoes. We never deprived you of anything, you never once lacked anything. So tell me, what else do you want from us?" Again, silence.

"Seriously, why do you even drink alcohol, don't you know you're too young for that?" Michael asked but Jazz only looked away.

"And you hospitalized your classmate for no reason," Darlene said.

"He was gonna snitch on me," Jazz replied.

"Shut up," her parents chorused.

"You know what, I'm tired of being called to your school only to get countless complaints from your principal and teachers," Michael said as he rubbed his temples.

"It's surprising that you're such a brilliant student but you have such bad behaviour," Darlene said, feeling disappointed.

Jazz didn't seem affected by all that her parents had to say and said, "Fine, I'm sorry, it'll never happen again."

"Oh you bet it won't," Michael said. "Because your mother and I have decided to send you off to boarding school."

"What?!"

"You heard me right."

"But I don't wanna go to boarding school, they wear uniforms and there's a lot of restrictions, I can't put up with that."

"Oh yes you can and you will," Darlene chipped in. "We have made up our minds and no amount of whining can change it."

"This isn't fair guys." Jazz pouted.

"Don't worry hon, you won't be going to just any school, you'll be going to my alma mater in Nigeria," Michael added and Jazz looked like her eyes were going to fall out.

"No way!!" Jazz exclaimed.

"This way you'll definitely learn good values and manners, especially humility and honesty," Darlene added.

Jazz continued to protest over her parents' decision but they refused to budge, they were fully convinced that this was the way to reform their delinquent daughter. Jazz had no other option but to start packing her things and get ready for her new school and new life.