CHAPTER 7

The girls stared at Ronke as she made her way to her bed, all the while hummng to herself.

"What? Did you guys miss me?" Ronke immediately sat up on her bed.

"Yes. Where were you all day?" Kelechi asked and folded her arms.

"I told you I went to hang out with my classmates," Ronke replied.

"Okay. How was it?"

"It was fun."

"Of course it was. Why don't I come with you next time so we can all hang out together?" Kelechi said and Jazz chuckled.

"It's not as if we're going somewhere special, it's just a casual hangout within school."

"How come Zainab wasn't aware of the hangout?"

"It's just a few of us that planned the hangout, not everyone in my class knows about it."

"Then why--"

"Why are you asking me so many questions?"

"Just wanted to be part of the fun, but it's okay." Kelechi shrugged.

Ronke's phone rang and she glanced at the girls. "I'll be right back," she said before leaving.

Jazz stood up and headed for the door. "Where are you going?" Kelechi asked.

"Come on, we all know she's lying to our faces but we need to see what she's really up to," Jazz replied, taking Kelechi's hand as they left the room.

They followed Ronke down the hall and then down the stairs but bumped into Mrs Kayode.

"Are you girls okay? Where are you off to in such a hurry?" She asked.

"We need to go--" Jazz started but Kelechi interrupted her. "Good afternoon ma," she said.

"Afternoon. Where are you in such a hurry to?"

"Nowhere in particular, just wanna grab some fresh air," Jazz replied.

"How do you grab air?" Mrs Kayode asked, confused.

"That's why we're following Ronke, she's a science student so she can show us," Kelechi answered.

Mrs Kayode seemed convinced. "Okay, but be careful so you don't trip or fall," She said and continued on her way upstairs.

Jazz and Kelechi giggled as they left the hostel and looked around. "Dang, we lost her. Thanks to your dim matron," Jazz said.

"Let's just go back, Ronke is very smart, she won't let anyone catch her so easily."

"She may be smart, but I'm smarter. I'll make sure we catch her, just watch." Jazz smirked.

"You both want to turn us into spies," Kelechi joked as they went back to their room.

That night, a sudden noise woke Kelechi up from sleep and she instinctively turned to Ronke's bed only to find that she wasn't there. She went into the bathroom but it was empty, that was when she noticed the door slightly ajar, remembering that matron had shut the door before they went to bed.

"Where could this girl have gone to?" She asked herself.

"To see her boyfriend, that's where," Jazz replied in a whisper from behind her. She hadn't even noticed when Jazz moved.

"How do you know that?"

"I saw her texting someone before she left, I was about to wake you before you got up. Come on, we have to follow her."