CHAPTER 22

The day of the much anticipated football match between the SS3 and SS2 girls had arrived. The girls who were playing geared up for the match and some even did a little bit of stretching and jogging. The rest of the girls just settled themselves on the bleachers, ready to cheer their classmates on. Some other students and football-loving teachers also came to watch the match.

Mitchel sat next to Jazz on the bleachers. "Aren't you playing?" He asked, gesturing to the girls who were already on the football field.

"I don't like sports."

"Then why are you here?"

"I have no other choice. If I did, I wouldn't be here."

"Ok then."

Mitchel brought up another topic and they started talking and got so engrossed in their conversation, they didn't even realize the game had started until the spectators stood up and oohed when a girl from SS2 missed a goal.

"Oh look, they've started playing and we didn't even know," Mitchel said and chuckled, directing his attention to the field and Jazz did the same.

The match was very competitive with both teams giving their all and not giving the other team any chance to score. The goalkeepers were also very alert and swift in blocking the ball from getting into the goal.

After twenty minutes of playing, it was half time so the girls went to sit on the benches to rest. They were allowed to play for only forty minutes because sports time was just for an hour. The teachers of both classes offered their students chilled water, glucose and icepacks.

"You girls are doing great! Let's make these remaining twenty minutes count by scoring at least a goal okay!" Miss Toke encouraged her students.

"Thanks ma," Princess said as she took a swig from her water bottle and wiped her forehead with a handkerchief.

"What did you even do aside hopping around like an oversized rabbit and blocking our ears with that whistle? You don't even know how to referee." Ella scoffed.

"At least she was doing something. But you, you just sat there with your handmaid doing nothing and looking stupid," Jazz retorted and Mitchel snickered. The others also tried to hold back their laughs. Ella and Titi just glared at Jazz but before they could say anything, Princess spoke.

"Ella you think it's easy to run around in the sun trying to make sure the match goes well," she said, upset. "You people wouldn't let me play ball because I'm fat and now that I want to referee, you still wouldn't let me," she continued.

"Don't cry Princess. You're also doing a great job, don't mind Ella. I'm sure she didn't mean what she said and is going to apologize to you now," Miss Toke consoled her as she patted her on the back.

Ella looked away and said, "I'm sorry."

"There. Are you okay now Princess?" Miss Toke asked and Princess nodded.

When half time was over, Princess signaled them back to the field to begin the second half of the match. Ten minutes into the match and neither team had scored a single goal.

"Come on girls!" Miss Toke cheered and clapped.

Ronke got passed the ball by one of her teammates and quickly ran to the opposing team's goal, dribbling the ball. Her swiftness favoured her as she dodged the other team members. Within seconds she was able to score a goal and her teammates went wild as they jumped, hugged each other and screamed. Their classmates and others watching also cheered for them.

"Woo! Yes! We did it!" Jazz cheered and Mitchel looked at her amusingly.

"Why are you so excited, I thought you didn't like sports?" He asked.