CHAPTER 12

The white minibus was air conditioned making it comfortable for a drive on a hot day. Mitchel sat shotgun, unknowingly depriving Ella of the chance to sit with him so she sat in the seat behind him close to the door.

Abu and Samuel sat together chatting while the rest of the girls were seated together doing their own gossiping and talking about the latest trend of fashion and celebrity styles which they could not afford. Jazz sat at the back of the bus, farthest from Ella, in order not to start a fight. She just sat on her own, taking selfies and giggling away at her phone.

"If this is a fourteen seater bus, why did Mrs K ask only ten of us to go?" Abu asked.

"The less the safer." Somto shrugged.

"If she wanted us to be safe she should have asked only two or three of us to go," Abu said.

"Guy, what is your problem, are you not happy that she let us go out?" Samuel replied him.

"If you are not happy then tell us so we can drop you," Mitchel said and everyone laughed.

"Mitchie you are so funny." Ella giggled which made everyone stop laughing, including Mitchel.

"Thanks for ruining the moment," Jazz deadpanned.

"You're welcome," Ella replied and turned around to smile at her.

"I have a feeling that Mrs Williams won't be happy about matron's decision to let us leave school," Kelechi said.

"Don't worry, Mrs K. made the right decision, it's not like we're going to rob a bank or something," Ronke told her.

"I just don't want her to get in trouble with Mrs Williams because of our selfishness."

"Relax, no one is getting into trouble. We'll just get back to school on time and it will be like we never even went anywhere," Ronke assured her.

"Where are we even going?" Zainab asked, looking around.

"To The Plaza of course," Ella answered.

"Who said we are going to that boring place," Ronke said. "We are going to Spar."

"Yeah," Kelechi agreed.

"I think Spar is good too," Somto said.

"Says who? Mitchie, just tell the driver to take us to The Plaza, there's no time to argue," Ella said.

"We are definitely not going to The Plaza, I'd rather go to Spar than go there," Abu said, looking at Ella who glared at him.

"Yes, we should definitely go there." Samuel nodded.

"Let's go to the cinema!" Princess chipped in excitedly.

"We're not going to watch movies, it'll waste our time and we won't get to do other fun things," Abu told her.

"So, like I said, we're going to The Plaza," Ella continued.

"Why don't we just find out from Mitchel where we're actually going," Jazz suggested and they all kept quiet, waiting for Mitchel's reply.

"I thought you guys would never let me speak. We're going to the city mall!" Mitchel announced.

"Really, that's cool. I can't wait to have fun." Zainab clasped her hands.

"Me too," Princess said.

They got to the mall and the driver was given a card with a number on it as they passed the security. He parked and the students alighted, taking in deep breaths of fresh air.