CHAPTER 20

Jazz lounged on her bed thinking about how to survive another few months in the school without losing her sanity. She was sick and tired of the school, its rules, its uniform, its compulsory extracurricular and sports activities, the teachers and annoying students, not to mention the food and the environment which was all foreign to her.

This school is a punishment, she thought with a groan.

Kelechi rushed into the room and stood akimbo on seeing Jazz. She didn't understand how the girl could be so comfortable doing nothing and still want to do more of nothing.

"Why are you still here? It's time for club activities and don't forget you're in the theatre club. We have rehearsals for our play and we're already late," Kelechi said to Jazz.

"I also don't have a part in the play which means I don't have to go right," Jazz replied.

"You have to go, if a teacher catches you being idle, they'll put you in a club of their choice and you may not like it. Let us go."

Jazz groaned and slowly got up from the bed while Kelechi adjusted her skirt and they left the room.

By the time they got to the club, Mr Dominic was already standing in the middle of the room addressing the students. He signaled Kelechi over once he saw her.

"This is unlike you to be late. You know you're in charge of directing since this is your play, I am just here to supervise," He reminded her.

"I was helping Miss Toke out with something and lost track of time, I'm sorry, it won't happen again," Kelechi apologized.

"Now, let's begin," Mr Dominic said and looked at Jazz who just stood behind Kelechi with folded arms.

"Jazz," he started. "Would you like to take part in the play? Our female lead got injured while playing football and I think it would be great if you joined the play so you could try to blend in with your fellow members," he said to her with a smile.

Ella stepped in immediately. "I would like to take the part if Jazz doesn't want to."

"Of course Jazz wants to, she's just a little shy," Kelechi said, holding Jazz's shoulders. Jazz scoffed at her and was about to say something before Mr Dominic spoke.

"You don't need to be shy, Jazz," he said. "We're all here to learn from one another, so feel at ease."

"That's not the—" Jazz started to say but Kelechi interrupted her.

"Did you hear that, Jazz? Feel at ease. Here, you'll need this," she handed Jazz a copy of the script and Jazz just squinted her eyes at her.

"I'll give you a minute to go through the script and prepare yourself before we start okay," Mr Dominic told her and went to stand by the window.

"What was that all about?" Jazz asked Kelechi who was grinning at her.

"I just wanted you to be a part of the play that's all," she replied with a shrug.

"Are you happy now?" Jazz asked but before Kelechi could reply, Ella chimed in. "I know you only wanted the female lead because Mitchel is the male lead. Everyone can't see it but I can," she snapped.

"Isn't that why you also wanted the part, because of Mitchel?" Jazz asked her.

"You think you've won because you got it but I won't let you get what you want," Ella said and left with Titi trailing behind her.

"I didn't even know Mitchel was in the stupid play, you're the one who got me to be in it," Jazz said to Kelechi.

Kelechi frowned. "Hey, my play is not stupid," she said.