Chap 13 - Prophecy Fulfilled and A Vacation

~NICK'S POV~

I can't believe Poseidon would ever say something like that. How dare the gods, especially Athena, question my heroism! I was the only reason the quest succeeded, I should be rewarded, not embarrassed. You know what? I'll make sure that I go on the next quest, and that I am the hero. 

I was pulled from my thoughts as a camper rushed past, knocking into me, and not bothering to apologize. I followed, intending to lecture his manners, but the thought slipped from me as I saw where he was going. Thalia's tree was being crowded by curious campers, and Chiron, who was too busy trotting nervously to notice me. 

Confused by the sudden commotion, I approached Chiron, "What's going on? What happened?"

He turned, startled, "Thalia has been poisoned." He continued upon seeing my confused look, "Her tree provides the magical border, protecting the camp from wandering monsters. The Demeter campers are trying their best to slow the poison, but it will only hold until next summer." 

I shifted nervously, "Who could have done this?"

"I am not sure. The situation gets worse, however. The Hecate cabin has just informed me their brother, James, has gone missing." Chiron said, looking around.

I gasped, "That's it! It was James, he betrayed us, and poisoned the tree. Just like the line from the prophecy said!"

Chiron nodded solemnly, "That's what I've been fearing."

"Hey, Chiron!" I was startled by Percy's voice behind us. Percy unaware of my surprise, continued, "Do you have a second? I need to talk to you."

Chiron turned to Percy with a bright smile, "Of course, Perseus. It's no problem at all." Already, he had forgotten me, in favor of Percy. It's not fair, why is Percy so universally loved, and I'm left like fresh mud?

"I am going to my Father's planet, Helix, for the year. I won't be returning until next summer, and I wanted to let you know." Percy's voice was so carefree it made my stomach turn, why must his life be so incredibly easy?

Chiron raised his eyebrows in astonishment, "Helix? As in, his first planet?"

Percy nodded, smiling widely, "Yeah, that's the one. Why have such an interest, Chiron? If you want to visit, I'm sure my Father wouldn't mind."

Chiron's eyes widened, and he bowed his head ever-so-slightly, "It would be an honor."

I scowled, what was so great about some random planet? Personally, I think if Percy's on that planet, I would want nothing less than to be there. He makes me sick.

Percy smiled warmly at Chiron, oblivious to my musings, "If you really want to go, I can give you this." He pulled out a small, green, crystal, the size of my nail. "Rub this to open a portal to Helix. We'll be looking forward to your visit."

Chiron gingerly took the small crystal, and nodded to Percy in gratitude. I cleared my throat, intending to draw the attention to myself. Percy only looked at me lazily, before nodding to Chiron and leaving.

Chiron turned to me, mild disappointment clear in his eyes. It stung, seeing that look from Chiron. Clearly, he didn't approve of how I had interrupted his talk with Percy.

"Nick, what are you doing, still here? You need to start packing, you return to the city tomorrow."

I nodded, still feeling my anger towards Percy. I shook my head of these awful thoughts, only to remember I wouldn't be able to see Annabeth for a year. I sighed, if only next summer would come sooner.

~TIME SKIP~
~PERCY'S POV~

I awoke with a start. I came back to reality, remembering Thalia's being poisoned the previous day. I rushed to the cabin's infirmary to see Will bening over the sleeping form of Thalia, checking her temperature.