Chapter Six: The Night Before

Jane Rizzoli

Chaos was the best way to describe the Rizzoli-household as it was a busy month ahead. Isa's first day of kindergarten starts Monday morning and although Isa is excited about it, I wasn't happy of the thought of my baby girl going away to school. Making new friends and no longer needing her mommy around. Tears began to swelled up in my eyes from the thought.

Meanwhile at the station, I was questioning a suspect whilst Maura was finishing off the autopsy on our latest victim.

I walked into the autopsy room and leant against the sink, "Please tell me you got something Maura because we are struggling to hang onto this suspect and she's the best one we got."

"Just waiting for a few more results and then I'll have an answer. The state of the body meant that it's been hard for me to be able to pull results quickly but we will get there Jane and we will solve this case."

After work I drove home, heading inside where Ma was sitting on the couch with a sleeping four-year old next to her.

"Hi," I greeted her softly, furrowing my brow when I looked at Isa's head in Ma's lap. "Is everything okay?"

"Hi." Ma smiled, her hand resting on her granddaughter's head. "Everything is fine, she just had a bad dream and wanted her mommy."

"When?" I took off my coat and headed towards the couch, sitting on the edge of the coffee table as I looked at my daughter. I carefully reached out to caress the sleeping girl's cheek.

"Two hours ago... Something like that, she's been sleeping like this for almost an hour," Ma smiled lovingly at Isa before looking up at me. "Busy day?"

I nodded. "Got a little anxious to get back to my girl though."

"It's a start," Ma replied as she carefully lowered Isa's head on the couch to stand up.

"Wouldn't you like something to drink?" I asked, looking away from Isa.

"No thank you, I'm turning in." Ma smiled warmly and stepped forward to kiss my cheek.

"Thanks for tonight, Ma."

"You're very welcome." She zipped up her coat and grabbed her car keys. "Night Janie!"

"Goodnight," I smiled at my mother and stood up from the table to carefully sit next to my sleeping daughter, gently running my fingers through her black curls.

"My pretty girl..." I whispered, barely audible. "I'm sorry you had a bad dream." I pulled my hand back when I felt Isa sighing deeply in her sleep, afraid to wake her up.

Suddenly Isa let out a deep sigh and opened her eyes, "Mommy?"

"Hi, honey." I smiled, brushing a strand of curly hair out of her face.

Isa showed a tired smile and turned on her stomach before her eyes closed again.

"Did you have a bad dream?" I asked softly.

Isa nodded, too sleepy to answer.

"Grandma took good care of you, didn't she?"

"Yes-s,"she yawned and tucked her feet up, curling up on the couch.

I smiled, leaning forward to place a kiss on top of her head.

Isa smiled, content to have her mother back with her.

"Sleep, baby," I whispered quietly. "I'm here. No more bad dreams," I smiled and gently stroked her cheek. "No more bad dreams."

I relaxed against the back of the couch, feeling the exhaustion of a long day washing over me. I shook my head and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, gently taking Isa in my arms and carried her upstairs, putting her in her own bed before falling asleep after only a few seconds.