Chapter Thirteen: Like Old Times

Jane Rizzoli

"Yay! Yay!" Isa nearly vibrated in her seat as I announced we were only five minutes from home. I leaned further back into my seat, she had been excitable since we left.

"I'm gonna have a mom and a dad! At the same time! Like Gracie!" she exclaimed to herself.

I sighed, I hoped that happened, thoughts had been plaguing me about Casey's visit. Was I making this decision too quickly?

I had called Ma and told her we were heading back home. With the familiar scenery coming to a close, Isa giggled and made another squealing sound.

After we exited, Isa automatically grabbed both our hands as we made our way inside our large home.

Casey's mouth agape and raised into a smile as he stepped inside. All of his thoughts had been erased from his mind and he gawped to watch the figure approach, making a beeline right for him.

Isa was scooped off her feet by my mother. "Hey my baby girl!" Ma exclaimed, hugging her tightly.

"Gramma!" Isa squealed. Ma chuckled and then realized Casey was there, glancing at him, she put Isa down and flew over to his side, embracing him tightly.

I had inherited my mother's talent for hugs, apparently.

"How long can you stay?" said Ma, her eyes checking him over as best as she could.

Casey smiled. "For the foreseeable future," he managed to get out as Ma's hold on him tightened.

"Well, my daughter will be surprised for sure," she chuckled.

"Hmm..." I groaned, sitting down. Opening my eyes, I automatically spotted Isa leaning over me worriedly. "Mommy?"

"I'm fine, baby," I said calmly. A silent anger was slowly brewing in me, at myself. Ma nodded grimly.

"You should lie down,"she commented quietly. I shook my head, standing.

My happiness is now under the surface and mixed with some anxiety. I'm not used to the combination, it's truly odd. Only Casey could bring out these mixed feelings inside of me. I hated him because of it. First pleasure at gaining forward momentum and then fear of the change. It's hard work, no doubt about it. It's tough starting out, taking a chance.

I paused at the sight before me. Isa was leaned into Casey's hold, and he actually looked...father-like. They hadn't had a chance to meet personally yet. His leave and my cases had never allowed for it.

"He seems to be making fine father material." Ma commented, already knowing me well enough to know I was doubting my past decision. "Talk to him,"she commanded softly.

I ran a hand through my lengthy hair and nodded, walking confidently before crumpling at the sight of Casey.

I stiffened a smile, "Isa." My little girl immediately ran to hug me as I fell to my knees and buried my head in Isa's hair, holding back tears. Casey stood back awkwardly, not sure of what to do. I glanced at him and sighed.

"Why don't you go talk to Gram, she wanted to talk to you," I said quietly.

"Okay." Isa slipped passed me to find my mother. I stood slowly, wiping my hands on my pants.

"Hey," I spoke quietly, avoiding Casey's gaze.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Casey asked coldly.

"I-I didn't think you'd want the burd-" I started.

"Don't say burden, don't," Casey warned, coming closer. I finally got the courage to look in his eyes. Tears. Tears were in his eyes. He came close enough to where he now stood across from me.