Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Wedding

Jane Rizzoli

Once the venue was chosen the rest of the wedding plans seemed relatively easy. We picked a Saturday afternoon in early March, making sure immediate family could attend that day. The rest of the guest list was easy because it was limited to the space available in the backyard. A few extended family members on my side and our closest friends and colleagues rounded out the list.

The hardest part was deciding who would perform the ceremony. A random justice of the peace who didn't know us seemed too impersonal. While researching other options, Maura enlightened us that in Massachusetts anyone over the age of eighteen can receive a one-day designation to perform a wedding ceremony for a friend or family member.

The only question for us was which friend or family member to choose. When Casey suggested Korsak, I immediately agreed. He had been my partner and he had saved my life. He had been my mentor and something close to a father figure, someone I could go to for advice whether it was for work or my personal life, for the past few years.

When I took Korsak out to lunch and asked him if he would perform the ceremony, I was surprised when he got a little choked up while saying he would be honored. He tried to hide his emotion, but I noticed and it made me tear up as well. Something about his reaction made me realize the significance of the moment. I was really getting married. Soon all of the preparations would be done and I would be standing in front of family and friends marrying the man I loved. We both managed to pull ourselves together before it got too embarrassing and then shared a laugh at ourselves for getting so sentimental.

When I was finished getting ready, Ma found me standing in front of the mirror. I looked beautiful in my wedding dress. The long white train spread out behind me. The shoulder's dipped off the side, lace crawling up the bodice. My hair was pulled up in a French twist.

I smoothed the dress over my hips and said, "Well, how do I look?"

A gentle smile caved into a wobbling mess as emotion consumed her.

"D-don't cry! If you start, then I start, then we all start, and it won't stop!" I half-laughed, a mixture of nervousness and excitement laced my words.

Hazel eyes watched me with pride and Ma smoothed her hands down her own dress. She took in a shaky breath, smiling as she walked up to me and rested her hands on my shoulders. Her thumbs rubbed there and squeezed gently.

"Stunning, absolutely stunning," Ma whispered, emotion catching her throat.

"Oh, Ma." I sighed, practically jumping into my mother's arms.

Ma smiled and hugged me close, where we stayed until she finally pulled away to hold me at arm's length. "I'm proud of you. You deserve this." She reached out to cup my cheek.

A knock on the door crashes the moment, and I turn to see it slowly creak open. Maura pokes her head inside. "Jane, I... oh, Jane! You look so gorgeous!" she gushed.

"He got you to wear a dress," she said, and I grimaced, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah. It's not too bad," I joked.

Maura shook her head and said, "You know you love it."

Then seriously, I said, "It's perfect, of course."

A knock at the door was sounded.

"Come in."

Frank opens the door and peeked his head in the room. "Janie. You look beautiful."

My lips pulled into a smile. "Thanks Pop."

"We're ready," he informed us.

I took in a deep breath, cheeks puffing up before I blew out the air.