Chapter Nineteen: Falling

Jane Rizzoli

"Our perps name is Kevin Schofield. The fingerprints on the gun match those on the Marines database" Korsac rhymed off as he picked up his gun and keys up from his desk. He hated that this guy was a soldier but they were going to nail this son of a bitch once and for all. After leaving absolutely no evidence at the crime scenes of his first four murders, this scumbag dumped his gun leaving a single fingerprint. A major mistake on his part but a saving grace for the Boston Homicide Department.

Just as I picked up my gun, my cell phone started to buzz. It's Casey. Signaling to Frost and Korsac that I'd catch up with them, I smiled and answered, "Rizzoli."

"Mommy..."

"Isa, can I call you back baby? I've gotta catch a bad guy." I chuckled as I heard my four year old's voice.

"Dada's hurt mommy. He fell and can't get up."

Bracing myself back on my desk, I feared the worst just as I always did when it came to Casey. Knowing that he was hurt scared me. I don't know why. I should be used to it. The man had been in many horrific scenarios and fought bigger wars than I have yet to encounter. But this time was different.

"Ok, I'll be right there"

Quickly calling Frost and letting him know of the situation, I grabbed my bag and headed for the elevator. Tapping my foot, the elevator couldn't move fast enough for my impatience.

"Jane." Maura beamed brightly as the elevator doors opened to reveal my restless best friend. "I was just coming to see you. I have the test results from the hair fibre you found."

"Can we ride and talk?" I asked as she stepped in and pressed the down button a few more times than it was necessary.

"Is something wrong?"

"I just got a call from Isa. Casey has fallen and can't get up. I'm concerned is all."

"As anyone would. I'll come along with you."

"You don't have to Maura..."

"Of course I do, I'm a doctor so I'll be a great asset if Casey is hurt." Maura smirked knowing I couldn't or wouldn't argue with her then. "Casey will be okay."

I simply glared at my best friend like I usually did when I wasn't amused. Maura was probably right but I wasn't about to admit that. I hated admitting to Maura when she was right no matter the what situation was.

Speeding through the streets of Boston, Maura had to stop me from using the lights and sirens on the car. As much as they would help us get to my family as quick as humanly possible, I just took every shortcut I knew to get home.

"Jane you forgot to lock the car door." Maura pointed out after I jumped from the car as soon as I pulled into my driveway. Stopping mid jog, I shot daggers back at my best friend and made a dramatic act about locking the car doors before heading toward my front door.

"Isa? Casey?" Increasingly concerned, I called through the house praying for an answer.

"Bathroom Mommy!"

I followed the voice of my little girl and raced through the house to the bathroom I'd seen Isa disappear into. Stopping at the door to the bathroom, I gasped as I saw Casey laying on his back looking up at me with a weak smile.

"What happened?"

Noticing Maura standing behind me at the door, Casey felt even more stupid lying on the cold tiles. Maura and I combined our strength to carry him out of the bathroom, sitting him up on the edge of the bed.