Chapter Eighteen: Back to School

Jane Rizzoli

Back home, I was sitting up in bed with Isa in my lap as we watched a cartoon on television. I was getting better. I still had a feverish blush on my cheeks but I kept my food down and I was less tired.

"Hi," Casey smiled and kissed my lips and Isa's temple. "You're lucky, little girl! Watching TV with Mama in your pajamas?"

Isa grinned. "Yeah."

Casey chuckled and shook his head while he tangled one of his hands in my curls, gently turning his head to look into my eyes, studying me intently. "You're feeling better," he said softly.

I nodded, my lips curling up into a slight smile.

He smirked and rested back against the headboard, slowly brushing his fingers through Isa's bed hair in front of me as the girl's attention was focused on the television.

"Hm." I turned my head and moved closer to press my lips against his for a deep, loving kiss.

Casey hummed in surprise and cupped my cheek as he felt my tongue trace his bottom lip, silently asking for entrance which he happily granted. The passion Casey felt in the kiss put him at ease. I was coming back.

He reluctantly broke apart, aware of the four-year-old that was still sitting in between my legs. I rested my forehead against his and cupped his cheeks, smiling lovingly. "I love you," I whispered quietly. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." Casey smirked and pecked my lips a few more times before breaking apart. "Is she not going to school today?"

I shook my head. "We seem to be a ahead of our schedule." I brushed Casey's hair back.

"Have you had breakfast yet?"

"No."

"How about we go out for something to eat?" He asked quietly, his voice soft and soothing.

"Great plan." I hooked my arms under Isa's and tried to lift her up into the air, but my muscles didn't have enough strength after being out for a while. I groaned softly and Isa turned her head in confusion.

"We're going out for breakfast, Izzy," Casey said while he gently pulled Isa off my lap, pressing his lips against the girl's forehead.

"For pancakes?" Isa's eyes went wide in anticipation. "Please?"

"We'll see." Isa chuckled and he lifted his daughter in his arms before putting her on the floor and patting her bottom. "Let's go get dressed first."

"Pancakes!" Isa ran off towards her bedroom, her dark curls bouncing around her head.

I laughed. When there was a possibility of pancakes, Isa wouldn't let go.

I followed after her and entered the bedroom. I pulled off her pajama shirt over her head before she escaped into her bathroom to brush her teeth.

I pursed my lips and opened Isa's closet, deciding on Isa's attire for today. I soon decided on a white flare sleeve t-shirt and a layered high waist, grey skirt. I smiled at my little girl and handed her the clothes, watching as Isa quickly got dressed. When she finished, I helped her slipped on her grey, open toed booties and got started on her hair, styling it into a French braided ponytail. Now with Isa dressed and packed for school, I left her to play with a few of her toys while I go to get ready myself.

Casey Jones

Our small family had a big breakfast in a small restaurant a few blocks away, and that was all Jane's healing body could take for that morning. Jane was completely exhausted by the time we got back to the house and she immediately went to bed, falling asleep almost instantly. Not wanting to wake her, I took Isa to school.

I walked with Isa into the school towards her classroom, noticing the girl's pace slowing down the closer we got to our destination. I stopped a few feet before we reached the door and kneeled down in front of my daughter to cup her face and look into her eyes. "Don't pout," I said softly. "You're going to do great today."

Isa nodded as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

I pulled my little girl close and kissed the side of her head. "I love you."

"Love you too, Dada," Isa replied quietly, her short arms squeezing around my neck. She pulled back and nervously fumbled with her skirt.

"Isa!" Suddenly another young girl appeared in the hallway, running towards Isa. "Wow, you look pretty!"

Isa blushed and I stood back up. "You must be Gracelyn. Nice to finally meet you."

She shook my hand, smiling brightly.

"Hey," I looked into her eyes, "can you do me a favor today?"

Gracelyn nodded, eager to help out.

"Can you look out for Isa today?" I smiled, looking at Isa who was nervously fumbling with her braid. "She's a bit uneasy and I bet she feels a lot better with you by her side."

Gracelyn pushed out her chest and proudly lifted her chin, nodding her head. "Yeah."

"Okay." I tried to stifle my laugh as I turned to pull Isa in for a last hug, noticing my own reluctance to let her go.

"C'mon Isa, let's go," Gracelyn took her friend's arm as we broke the embrace.

I smiled at the sight. Gracelyn took her responsibility very seriously. "Have fun today."

Isa stood on her tipped toes to give me a peck on the cheek before turning around and following her best friend into the classroom.

I found myself watching through the window, seeing Gracelyn and Isa walking to their seat while chatting about something that made Isa giggle. I smiled, tearing myself away to head back home to my sick Jane.

Jane Rizzoli

Casey and I waited for Isa in front of her school, standing next to the car.

"Just a few more minutes," I thought to myself as Casey wrapped his arms against my waist.

I smiled and leaned back into his front, my small hands resting on Casey's big ones.

Casey smiled and rested his cheek against the side of the my head as he tightened his grip.

I chuckled but my smile fell when I saw a familiar face appearing in front of the school. I quickly rose to my feet and waited nervously for Isa to get closer, examining the girl's expression. She looked tired. Her shoulders were dropped and her feet were dragging. But she was smiling. She smiled at Gracelyn who ran towards her father's car, her backpack bouncing on her back. When Isa saw her father and I, she jumped and sped off towards us.

I smiled brightly and opened my arms for my daughter, immediately pulling her into a squeezing hug. "Hi, baby. How was your day?"

"Pretty great, Mommy," Isa pulled back and looked up at me with a proud sparkle in her dark eyes.

Casey brushed a strand of loose hair out of Isa's face, "I told you that, didn't I." Isa giggled, nodding her head before she leaned in for another hug. "Mommy better?"

"Almost," I replied while I pulled back and opened the car door for her. "I'm feeling a lot better."

Isa smiled, buckling her own seatbelt as she filled us in on the fun day she had at school.