Chapter Twenty-Six: Jane's Secret

Jane Rizzoli

I was in the bathroom at work, looking intently to the positive pregnancy test I just took; rubbing my forehead I was thinking what I was going to do, overwhelmed by this hit, I thought I should keep it to myself for now. I was feeling weird the last week, feeling nauseated, a dull headache during the day, worsen at nights, the lack of my period that worked like a clock.

Feeling a little tear welling up at the corner of my eye, I decided to bury myself in my work, we had caught a rather difficult case, so I started to catch up on my paperwork, trying to keep my head busy. No longer logical and calm I was now in complete distressed.

A couple of hours later Maura arrived to my office. "Hey, Jane. I'm going to have lunch, would you... Don't get this wrong but you look awful." Maura said as a joke to get my attention.

"Thanks Maur," I said not even lifting my head off the papers

Maura look at me with worried eyes "Jane, what's wrong? You look upset."

I held my head up, "I'm fine."

"O-kay..." Maura acclaim, knowing me too well to believe in that and continuing, "So, would you like to go to have some lunch, I'm sure your mother is doing some weird new thing at the caffe."

"I'm not hungry, but I'll accompany you." I cleared up my desk and grabbed my things before walking towards the elevator. Not saying a word, Maura followed along side of me.

We arrived to the Caffe, where Ma greeted us, as always. "Hi girls, how are you?"

I forged a small smile to say hi and past by them. Maura walked to the table I had chosen. "Jane, talk to me. What's wrong?? You're definitely not okay."

"Can we talk later? I'm not feeling good so I'm going home, early." Without saying goodbye, I grabbed my belongings and left, leaving a worried sick Maura sitting there completely confused by what just happened.

Later that night, I was sitting on my couch, looking through some baby boutiques on the internet, with my hand rubbing my forehead, scrolling the pages, I couldn't think of anything else than how to tell Casey about this.

I suddenly heard the opening of the front door and Maura walked in, causing me to close my computer violently. "What the hell, Maur," I seen it was past eleven. "How did you—"

Maura waved me off. "I've been worried all day. What's going on with you, you're not talking, not picking up my calls... Jeez, I'm sounding like a jealous boyfriend,"she said, causing us both to laugh. Maura walked over and sat beside me on the couch. "So... what's going on?"

I opened my mouth a couple times but couldn't bring myself to say it. So I stood up to retrieve the small object and gave it to Maura. Maura in turn took hold of the pregnancy test, "It's positive." She was shocked none the least.

"I know..."

"Jane you're pregnant."

"It appears so doc." I chuckled a little at Maura's tone but not before a little whimper of pain came out with it. And Maura caught it.

Tears welled up in my eyes, and start to run down my cheeks, wiping them away. At this point she had placed the test aside and engulfed me in a tender hug. This was what I needed, a friend that would hold me in my darkest times. Maura just ran her hand through my darken curls, letting me pour out my miseries.

"This must be the mood swings" I commented, showing a sad smile, making the doctor laugh a little. I continued, "I don't know how to tell this to Casey. What if he doesn't want to have this baby with me? And leaves? This is way too much for me to take by myself."