Double Life

(WANG HUA)

I took a deep breath as I pull the string of the bow and ready the lodged arrow. I let the string kiss my lips as my eyes focused on my target about twenty meters away.

But the distance of the target is not the problem. I can hit that target with my eyes close. Not to sound like an overconfident archer but I am great with bow and arrow. Hitting targets had never been a problem for me since I started practicing shooting arrows when my parents handed me those sharp headed weapons and a bow back when I was only nine years old. The same year I finally got well from being sickly because of being born with the weak lungs and discovering that I, not my twin, inherited the strength of our Wang blood.

Yes, shooting arrows and hitting targets are not difficult for me.

The problem is the Master General standing between me and my target. The same Master General who sired me and my missing in action twin.

I inhaled deeply when the striking pain pierced my consciousness everytime I am thinking of Dao, my twin brother, who is now doing heaven knows what in the Mughal Kingdom with another man who I have no business thinking about.

Jin and I are over. Our engagement is over. I called it off. I don't care about the first born Prince of this Kingdom anymore. I don't...

I don't love him anymore.

With Jin's smile on my mind, I released the arrow and I watched as my Baba, the Master General who is my current main problem nowadays, almost effortlessly caught my arrow in the air. That's the test. For my arrow to evade Baba's hand and find its target.

It didn't happen.

Damn it!

Deafening silence reigned on the archery arena as my attempt to pass my last test to become a member of the Imperial Army's Arrow Division is looking bleak again.

"Two more try," General Wang raised two fingers to indicate the number of chances I have to pass this test. This blasted last test that I couldn't seem to conquer because of my own Baba.

Baba is the problem. Baba is making this all impossible.

No, he is not engaging me in a combat like what he did with my twin. He is not breaking my bones, pummeling me to the ground or throwing me in the air. Baba is not doing all that. But he is still defeating me. Breaking my spirit.

Damn him!

And the whispers of the hundred and so spectators on this test are not helping at all.

"How many times has this been?"
"Fourth times. She get this test twice a month for two months now. Everytime she has failed because of General Wang."
"He is heartless. Haven't Lady Wang proven herself already? She is the best archer I have seen in decades who entered this arena."
"True. It will be such a waste for the Arrow Division if she won't get in. Sure, she is a noble lady but she has been proving herself to be resilient and hardworking at the army for months now."
"Maybe General Wang will let her pass this time..."
"I doubt it. Rumors has it that General Wang almost killed his son before Wang Dao passed that guard test to be the Crown Prince's guard."
"Wang Dao is different from his sister. That one is insane."
"True. But Lady Wang hasn't given up yet. Maybe she is as glutton on punishment as her brother."
"I wonder what Prince Jin will say?"

Jin. What will Jin say? I'm curious to know too. But the man is not here. I pushed him away.

Jin.

Jin.

I closed my eyes as regret covered my whole being again. I should have never let Jin go. Stupid Wang Hua!