Chapter 29 : Oh Brother

"What the hell are you doing here?!" My fury was unstoppable when I found Slade in the kitchen, rummaging through the fridge like he owns the house.

"Naghahanap ng pagkain, ano bang meron dito?" He didn't even bother turning around to look at me.

I lost it. In a fit of rage, I grabbed the nearest pot and threw it on the wall next to him. It made a loud crashing sound that made Slade jump out of shock. I don't care anymore kahit magising ang mga kapitbahay!

Sa paghalo-halo ng pagod, takot, at galit ko. Buong lakas akong napasigaw at napapadyak sa sahig. Wala na akong pakialam kahit mapugto pa ang mga litid ko sa sobrang pagsigaw.

"S-Silver, kalma lang," he pleaded as he raised both of his hands, trying to appease the monster within me.

"Slade, we had a deal! You promised!" I said with gritted teeth, seething in anger.

His expression softened. "Silver, please. Just hear me out--"

"What are you even doing here?! Mabuti na lang at wala si Reika! Paano kung nagkita kayo?! Paano kung--"

"Uncle had a mild stroke the other day," Slade blurted out, silencing me. 

I blinked twice as my heart sank a little. I was never close to him but I know how important he is to Slade... and how he's connected to my best friend. 

Slade heaved a sigh as he leaned his back on the counter. I don't know if it's a twin thing but I could feel his sadness just by being near him. I can sense the heaviness of his heart.

"H-how is he now?" Worry slowly taking over my anger.

"Tangina, Sil. Akala ko mawawala na talaga si Uncle nang hindi pa sila nagkakaayos ni Reika." Pumikit siya nang mariin at muling bumuntong-hininga. His raspy voice and worn-out expression made my heart hurt.

Tuluyang nawala ang galit ko sa kanya. He rarely talks about his feelings, and most of the time he only vents to me. I shouldn't have ignored his messages earlier.

"Sil, ayaw mo bang magkaayos si Reika at ang Papa niya?" tanong ni Slade bagay na pumukaw sa buo kong atensyon.

"Of course not, and you know that," I declared as I sighed. "Ang sa akin lang naman, ayokong mawalan ulit ng kaibigan. You only know Uncle's pain kaya hindi mo maintindihan si Reika at ang pwede niyang maramdaman. Her life has been about betrayal and abandonment. I don't want her to think that I betrayed her too."

"Do you really think she won't forgive you?" he asked.

Just the thought of Reika hating me weakens me. 

I hang my head low as I spoke, "I don't know."

"What if you're overthinking this?" he asked. "I've seen your photos online. I've heard stories from Apollo. You and Reika are inseparable--"