Chapter 82 : Haunted

Seeing the black granite tomb with her name, I could no longer deny the truth. Gone was the sliver of hope and fantasy that this is just a nightmare, that I could still get to be with her.

"Reika..." Slade fell to his knees, sobbing hard while holding on to the cold surface of her tomb.

I breathed in and swallowed hard, closing my eyes while keeping my hands clenched. Aside from Slade, I can also hear Tita Abbey and Tito Rico bawling from the side of the mausoleum. Magno's right behind us as well, crying in silence.

I opened my eyes and bowed down a little, slowly picking my brother up from the ground. He kept crying and calling out her name as he stood up lifelessly, his eyes never leaving her name. I mustered up all of my strength to keep us from falling down the floor, and slowly guided him to the corner of the room.

We both sat on a long bench, across us are Tito and Tita.

All of a sudden, I heard him took a deep breath. Before I could even react, he lightly patted my knee and stood up. I tried to help him but he just shook his head and flashed a weak smile.

"Doon muna ako kanila Tita," namamaos niyang paalam. "Okay lang ako."

Tumango na lamang ako at hinayaan siyang lumipat sa kinauupuan nila. He's clearly struggling but he's still persistent to comfort Reika's parents.

I looked up at Magno who is now standing right in front of Reika's grave. His lips kept trembling from trying to stop his own sobbing.

If it wasn't for Magno, we wouldn't have known that Reika was buried in Filimon Heights all along. He was able to convince their Grandfather to tell us the truth so now here we are, gathered together at Reika's funeral.

I can't help but feel angry at myself for always dismissing Reika's concern when Magno went missing. I was one of the people who believed that Magno just went away. If I paid attention... If only we heeded Reika's concern and looked further. If only we helped Reika, Magno and the would've been found sooner... Maybe Reika wouldn't have died.

I stood up and walked towards Magno. He turned around and smiled, wiping his tears.

I couldn't stop myself anymore and hugged him tightly. 

"I'm sorry..." I whispered over and over again even if my apologies are nothing compared to my grave mistakes.

He chuckled and hugged me back, patting the top of my head. "Elemento, 'di ba nag-usap na tayo kahapon?"

Umiling ako habang nakabaon ang mukha ko sa balikat niya. "K-kasalanan ko... Sorry..."

"Pwede bang humingi ng pabor?" tanong niya kaya naman mabilis akong bumitaw sa kanya.

Mabilis kong pinunasan ang mga luha ko at tiningnan siya sa mga mata. "Ano 'yon?"

I failed Reika, but not Magno and the rest of her family. Dito na lang ako makakabawi. Hangga't sa makakaya ko, tutulungan ko ang pamilya niya sa kahit na anong paraan. Hinding-hindi ko na ulit bibiguin si Reika.