Chapter 27

It had been a while since both Grizz and Sunny settled down to sleep, but both of them found achieving said sleep was easier said than done for their own separate reasons. Sunny felt excitement coursing through him. Even though it was late he wanted to keep interacting with Grizz, he wanted to impress him. Grizz couldn't sleep because of the pounding of his heart and the increased awareness about himself that he felt. He had no idea why he was feeling this way, usually he never cared what others thought about him. But in this bear with his new friend he felt like he should for lack of better term "act better."

"Hey, Grizz", Sunny whispered. Grizz leaned up from the opposite side of the bed to look at the sun bear. He motioned for him to follow him. Sunny got up from the bed and looked out the window. Grizz soon followed his actions.

"It looks real pretty out there..", Sunny murmured. He was looking at the forest in the pitch of night. Though it was very dark the moon overhead shined it's silver light, filtering through the branches and leaves. Fireflies danced in the shadows of the forest floor, illuminating what the moon could not reach.

"Yeah, it does...", Grizz had to agree the sight out there was something to behold.

"It's kinda stuffy in here. How about we talk a walk", Sunny suggested. Grizz nodded in agreement. Carefully they snuck down the hall into the living room. Grizz followed close behind, matching Sunny step for step. Whenever a floor board make a noise or the front door creaked open both bears froze and held their breath in perfect sync. Making their way out, Grizz made sure to close the door very carefully.

They walked outside in silence, Grizz following behind the larger bear as he lead them to the spot they observed before. The grass under his paws seemed softer than usual, the air was light and warm and a gentle breeze gave the leaves above a hushed whistle. The silver light shined down for above on Sunny and the fireflies twinkled around him as well.

Wow. He looks so...magical.., Grizz thought to himself.

"I always loved summer nights", Sunny whispered to himself, taking a moment to stretch. "They're always the prettiest to look at."

"But, Grizz. There's something I actually wanted to ask you", Sunny said with a serious tone in his voice, turning around to face Grizz.

"Uh, what it is?", Grizz asked, looking up at the bear who looked like he was actually radiating in the moonlight.

"Have you ever thought about what you would do if your brothers were to, like, live on their own?", Sunny asked.

"We already live on our own", Grizz responded.

"No, Grizz. I mean those two could eventually move out and find a place for themselves", Sunny explained.

"I guess I never considered that would ever happen", Grizz sighed. "I don't think they would go that far anyway."

"True, but I don't know how many more caves are around here in the forest", Sunny sighed. "They might move far away to find the perfect home one day. I mean, that's what my older brother, Sol, did. And that was almost 4 years ago. I still really miss him."

"Whoa. I'm sorry, Sunny", Grizz apologized.

"I still remember him telling me to enjoy life, find my place in it. No matter how far I have to go or even how many people I have to meet. And most importantly he told me to find someone to enjoy it with. And...well...", Sunny paused.

"And...what?", Grizz asked.

"And I think that someone is you, Grizz", Sunny said smiling.

"Me?!", Grizz asked, surprised.

"Yeah. I know we haven't know each other that long but I really feel something special about you", Sunny sighed, deciding it was best to just give all his feelings out now.

"You're a person I feel that I can tell everything to, like I could do anything with. You might be the most caring and fun person I've ever met. I can tell you care about your brothers so much. And to be honest....you're really cute, too", Sunny added, feeling a blush creeping along his muzzle.

Grizz immediately felt embarrassment and hid his face in his paws.

"Grizz, I think....I've fallen in love with you", Sunny admitting to Grizz and himself with a certainty in his voice that he felt made it true.

"I think I love you, too. But...", Grizz started.

"But..?", Sunny said with worry.

"I've never loved like this before", Grizz admitted. Sunny extended his arms and pulled Grizz in close. Still in his embrace the two leaned sat on the grass below them, leaning against a tree.

"Neither have I", Sunny sighed. The two of them looked around them, a firefly fluttered close and landed on Grizz's nose. Glowing a few times before flying off. Sunny smiled warmly at the grizzly and took his paw. "But maybe we can figure this out. Together."

"Yeah", Grizz agreed. He gave a yawn. It was very late, later than he ever stayed up and it was catching up to him.

"Hey, come here", Sunny offered, stretching out his paws. Grizz awkwardly leaned in close. Sunny wrapped his arms gently around Grizz. Grizz leaned back into Sunny, his hoodie was soft and warm. He could hear Sunny's gentle heartbeat which made his even sleepier.

"We could start slow, just keep doing what we have been. Like best friends. Slowly we can do different things. I won't do anything you're not ready for", Sunny offered, his own voice getting heavy from the drowsiness he was feeling.

"That sounds cool", Grizz whispered before falling asleep on Sunny. Both bears were fast asleep under the silver light of the moon and the thousands of fireflies that watched over them.

"There they are", Asia said, pointing out the two bears still asleep against the tree. The night was gone and it was now early morning.

"Grizz, wake up", Panda said, nudging his brother. Ice Bear poked Sunny in the arm. The grizzly moved a bit and opened a single eye.

"What are you guys doing out here?", Grizz asked sleepily.

"Ice Bear could say the same", the polar responded.

"We all woke up and you guys weren't there", Asia explained.

"Oh. Sunny, it's time to get up", Grizz said gently, tugging at Sunny's hoodie. The sun bear stirred a bit but went back to snoring.

"Just 5 more minutes", Sunny whispered.

"Ugh, you're impossible", Asia stomped.

"I guess it was nice to meet you two", she said referring to Panda and Ice Bear. "Thanks for joining our little party. I would love to stay and chat but I have to roll my cousin back home", the asian bear groaned.

"Uh, it's okay. Thanks for having us", Panda said.

"Yeah, it was great", Grizz agreed.

After saying their goodbyes the three bears returned to their cave.

A boyfriend, Grizz thought excitedly. I have a boyfriend. 

Grizz felt something he had never felt before. It was like something he wanted to keep with him forever. It was like a secret that only he and Sunny could share. Even now, walking away, Grizz still felt Sunny's arms around him still.

For the rest of the day Grizz was playing an online game with Sunny. They used voice chat to talk with one another, and Grizz loved hearing his voice, save for the occasional yelling from Asia in the background.

That night he went to sleep remembering how badly he wanted what Panda and Ice Bear had. But now he was sure he had it.....