Alone

Kirishima frowned as he watched his best friend leave. He seemed to be in pain, or sad— he didn't know. His voice was filled with regret as he muttered those words and he didn't want his friend to be like that. So he ran after him. He slipped on his own shoes and grabbed his own coat.

     He ran down the corridor, outside, and saw spiky blond hair sticking out from a black hood. It reminded him when he was coming back from Saitawa's after learning the truth and his heart ached.

     "Bakugou wait!" Kirishima called. The blond hesitated before he continued walking, a little faster. Kirishima stuffed his arms into his sleeves as he ran, his hair blowing in the wind since Kaminari dunked water on him earlier and made his hair go soft. He reached out and grabbed Bakugou by the arm, turning him around so he'd face him. Kirishima panted a bit as Bakugou glared at him.

     "What the hell do you want?" he said rather coldly. Kirishima shook his head and swallowed.

     "Why're you ignoring me?" he said a little breathless. Bakugou looked away with a snarl.

     "I'm not."

     "Then why didn't you stop? Why did you keep walking when I called for you?" Bakugou didn't have an answer and yanked his arm from his grasp.

     "Don't fucking touch me."

     "Bakugou what did I do-"

     "Shut the hell up. Leave me alone-"

     "No!" Kirishima grabbed his arm again, this time a little more firm. "Tell me what's wrong man! You're being mean!"

     "I'm always fucking mean ya dipshit!" Bakugou screamed, attempting to glare. "Now let me go!" Eijirou furrowed his brow as if he was making a decision. He nodded to himself before pulling him into a hug. Bakugou hit him in an attempt to get away but it was weak.

     "No. Never."

     Bakugou began stammer but was scolding him at the same time. "You shouldn't say that! No-Nothing lasts forever! You can't promise a fucking promise you ca-can't keep, dumbass..."

     Kirishima smiled and played with his hair in a soothing manner. "I'll do my best to try and keep it though."

     Bakugou couldn't stop his tears the pooled from his eyes and he clutched the back of his jacket. Eijirou smiled as he pressed him against his chest.

     "I've never thanked you for that night, you know? I was kinda embarrassed," he chuckled, peaking Katsuki's interest. "I was thinking about how worried my mother and you and my friends were when I was in the hospital." He laughed weakly. "I was...very sad and guilty...and I couldn't get away from the nightmares so...I took one of the songs and tried to distract myself instead of confronting my worries." He rested his chin in his spiky blond hair. "Sorry for worrying you. And thank you for that. It helped me a lot and I talked to my mother about it."

     Kirishima felt the blond shift in his embrace.

     "Wanna go back to the dorm? It's kinda cold out here." He pulled away, somehow feeling a little lost. "I'll help you write your essay. When's it due?"

     Bakugou flushed and looked away. "Next week."

     "Oh well, that's plenty of time!" Kirishima smiled and took the blond hand into his. "Let's go. I'm freezing."

{~}

     Bakugou walked down the halls with a giddy feeling in his gut. Kirishima was treating him to lunch that day, and Bakugou couldn't help but over think.

     'I'm going on a fucking date!' Bakugou pressed his lips together as he walked into class. He stood a little straighter and his eyes glowed with glee instead of annoyance or anger. He couldn't help it, he was happy.

{~}

     Kirishima groaned and placed his hand on his head. "It's not a date, Mina."

     The pink headed girl smiled brightly. "Of course it is! You're going out to lunch and it's only gonna be the two of you!" He jumped a bit. "A besides, I saw Bakugou walking down the hallway earlier and he seemed really excited!" She pulled out her phone and swiped through her apps. "I even got a picture of him."

     "Are you a stalker?"

     She thrusted the phone in his face and his eyes widened. Bakugou was at his locker and...he looked like he was trying to keep a smile off is face, but his brows weren't furrowed and his eyes didn't look tired or annoyed. Kirishima's heart skipped a beat and covered his mouth with his palm. Mina giggled as he retreated the device. A few seconds later Kirishima phone buzzed.

     "You like him~" Mina teased while Kirishima looked like a hot tomato.

     "N-No I don't!" He sighed. "He's just my friend. Nothing more." Mina frowned as she put her elbows on the table.

     "Honey, are you, perhaps, scared?" she raised a brow and Kirishima looked away with pressed lips.

     "N-No. He's just my friend," Kirishima deadpanned. He shook his head as his thoughts swirled in his mind.

     "Kiri, c'mon. Talk to me. This isn't about that dirty dish right?" Mina pressed, concern creasing her brow. Eijirou thought for a moment before shaking his head. Mina sighed. "So it is... look-"

     "Mina, just drop it. It's useless to think about stuff that's not gonna happen," Kirishima interrupted, a bit cold.

     "But-"

     "No. I said drop it-" Mina slammed her hands on the table as her chair slid a few inches backwards.

     "No! I'm not gonna just drop it! You have to move on, Kirishima! And I won't stand for you to miss an opportunity to love someone that will love you back!" Kirishima stood up and slammed his hands on the table as well, getting close to Mina's face with a hurt glare.

     "I DON'T WANNA LOVE ANYMORE!"

     He screamed. Silence. Everyone was staring at the both of them now. Mina reeled back for a moment and the redhead could see the questions bubbling up in her eyes. But before she had the chance to ask, he grabbed his bag and briskly walked away from the table, his face hardened into a neutral expression.

{~}

     Bakugou walked down the hall, hearing normal chatter. Then all of a sudden he heard a shout. It sounded like Kirishima and it came from behind the college café doors they were supposed to meet at.

     The hallway was silent for a moment before whispers began to roam. Bakugou was about to open the door until a person burst it open before he could. Bakugou and Kirishima made eye contact for a moment before looking away.

     "I'm gonna have to leave a rain check," he muttered quite coldly, and he left before Bakugou could even process what he said and when he did, Kirishima was already at the end of the hall.

     "W-Wait Kiri!" Mina ran after him, and that made enough motivation for Bakugou to run after him too. Kirishima would never ignore his friends like that.

     "Get back here shitty hair!"

_________________________________________

Published January 7 2020
Edited December 2022