~What Does The Heart Pounds For?~

Camila's P.O.V.

The whole room turned so quiet, only the beeping of the machine was heard as all of our eyes where scattered on each other not knowing what to do. Papa seemed to be shocked but he was calm, unlike Mama who looked like she was about to explode, to pass out from so many reasons.

Shawn's hand still held mine firmly, it was an assurance that he's just here by my side and refused to leave even if I wanted to. His warmth was what gave me the courage to stand up for myself as I know that he has my back, he will protect me and he would always be there whenever I needed him. It was like an oath between us, the hand squeeze that symbolizes unity and support.

"Camila, I think I heard you wrong. Can you repeat your words again mi hija? What did you say?" Mama asked with a very serious glint in her eyes, I know that at this point she's close to getting angry and screaming at me.

Knowing Mama she wouldn't like this one bit, she knows how to think critically and in less than a minute she would have her theory which can be 60% correct and question me about this. I actually am not surprised at all if she ever guess this right but she doesn't really know the whole truth and reason on why I agreed to marry Shawn.

It isn't just about I owe him the money but it is also about choosing to give this seemingly relationship a chance, an opportunity to hopefully become something that can last to eternity.

"Mama, Papa, Shawn and I are getting married and we thought that it would be best to inform the two of you first before anyone else"

"Forgive me for my words Mr. Mendes but are you in your right mind Camila? The last time I talked to you it was all about love and I completely understand that, I think it's completely normal for you to fall for your boss and vice versa. But a marriage? A wedding this fast? How long have the both of you even know each other? Are you sure that you are going to get married now? What has gotten into you Camila?!"

With my mother's outburst I suddenly felt like I was back to being that 14 years old girl who kept wanting to cut classes because I wanted to go home and sleep. Mama always get angry at me for doing that but she wasn't able to control me, I did what I think was right and refused to cut classes anymore by the time that I reached 16.

This is the first time that she's scolding me after 5 years, the last time was when I got pregnant with Skyler. She was so angry then, telling me that she still have so many dreams for me but then here I am, got pregnant at the age of 22 without even letting them know who the father is. She was so disappointed then but the following day she came to gradually accept that the child is not to be hated and is to be loved.

Her outburst seemed to shock even Papa, he looked so calm but the moment Mama started screaming Papa held her hand to hopefully calm her down. His eyes flashed to ms in a second as this time it was his time to speak.

Mama was trying to calm herself down beside him, turning her back on us as she run her hand on her hair with a very unreadable expression. I was starting to feel so embarrassed and wanted to run away from them but Shawn's hand was stopping me, the then shy woman now had turned to become someone who can stand for herself when it talks about doing the right thing to doing the things right.

"Karla, is there something wrong mi princesa? Why are you being like this? Do we still have to know something regarding this wedding that you are telling us? Because I know for a fact that it's not my daughter who's deciding at this moment. You wouldn't marry someone whom you don't even know that well" Papa's calm tone made it possible for me to regain my confidence and stand for what I have to say, he's just that man who can really understand my part in whatever scenario I am.

"We've known each other for 5 years now, almost 6 in November-"

"How well do you know your boss? How well do you know Shawn for you to suddenly decide to marry him and give everything you have? Were those 5 years even enough to get to know the true and real personality of that person?"