Lennox Crask

We were well into the semester and it seemed like the work-load was running on double-time. Even more frustratingly, Matilda Rowe had decided to join us for almost every lunch time as she clung onto Sirius.

I made a face at Scarlett as her shrill laugh echoed through the Great Hall at something boring that Sirius had said. See, it would be tolerable if Matilda had anything even moderately insightful to add to the topic of conversation, but in my personal (usually quite diplomatic) opinion, Goblin wars weren't a conversation where I would see a 'shrill laugh' as anything remotely appropriate.

"Geez, have some self respect." Charlie said watching as Matilda clung onto Sirius's arm, "He barely even looks at her." It was true, I had barely seen Sirius say a word to Matilda all morning.

"I guess their relationship is mostly physical." Mary winked at us as we took our seats in defence. True to form, Professor McGonnagall assigned us yet another assignment on animal transfiguration, making sure to remind us that this was our fifth and most important year. She looked widely disappointed at our menial attempts, clicking her tongue as she passed by Charlie's cup with mouse ears and Scarlett's unchanged glass. The boys however, had progressed from animal transfiguration and were taking turns turning Peter into a rat.

"Mr Black, Mr Potter." Professor McGonagall said as students began crowding around their table, their own cups laying forgotten back at their desks. "Please kindly turn Mr Pettigrew back into human form immediately." With a casual flick of his wand Sirius returned Peter's plump sniffling figure in a second. "10 points from Gryffindor, from each of you. " She shook her head disapprovingly peering over her thin glasses at the four mischievous boys. However, as she turned to watch the rest of the class I swore I saw a small glimmer of pride in her eyes.

"I almost think he looks better as a rat." Scarlett whispered to Charlie and I. Charlie nodded as we took our seats back. Motivated, I flicked my wand at my own crystal glass. There was a flurry of surprise when a small mouse scuttled across my table.

"Well done Miss Saint-Laurent." Professor McGonagall picked up my mouse approvingly. It seemed that although I had successfully changed my cup into a mouse, changing it back was a lot more difficult and I was set to charms with a mouse in hand.

"What am I meant to do with this?" I asked frustrated as the mouse squirmed in my hands as I attempted to walk through the hallway. People were knocking past me as the poor mouse became more and more panicked. Needless to say, I was very much missing the royal highclere crystal goblet that my uncle had gifted me. How was I meant to tell him I had changed that beautiful goblet into this anxiety-ridden mouse?

"At least you got the first part." Scarlett shuddered remembering her horrible half mouse-half cup hybrid.

Before I could face the embarrassment of attending charms with a mouse in hand Alice Fortescue raced up beside me, she was a sixth year Ravenclaw student with a heart of gold. She wore big round glasses and was never seen without a pile of books. To top it all off, she was by far top of her class and had been pining over Frank Longbottom since 3rd year. Frank, who was captain of the gobstones team and the duelling club had finally got the guts to ask her out last Friday.

"Hey Camilla," She puffed peering over a very tattered History of Magic textbook. Alice was a year above me and it definitely seemed that her work load was much larger than ours. "Why do you have a mouse?" She asked before I could reply.

"Transfiguration, "I sighed annoyed. "I can't seem to turn it back into a cup."

"Oh. That's easily fixed." She quickly fished her wand out from her pocket and with some fancy wandwork managed to change it back.

"Thanks." I said stuffing the cup into my bag. "What's up?"

She grinned, suddenly remembering why she was here. "Frank finally asked me out." She said. I squealed dropping my books and giving her a tight hug.