September

Our first Defence Against the Dark Arts class finally came around on the Thursday. To say we were excited was a complete understatement as the whole of Gryffindor and Hufflepuff were piled outside the classroom at least half an hour early. Scarlett had skipped her second breakfast and even Charlie had woken up early.

"Apparently he practiced unforgivables on fifth years." I could hear the rumours buzzing around us. "He brought in a real life werewolf for the third years."

At this James and SIrius scoffed loudly. "How good can he even be. Who would want to teach defence at hogwarts when you could be a real auror actually doing some good." James said unimpressed.

"Then why are you here so early?" Lily pointed out. She had a point, James and Sirius were never early... if anything, they were almost worse than Charlie.

"I'm just saying, he's either been fired or he's run away from the war... I don't want some coward teaching me." Sirius drawled.

"Apparently he's incredible." Scarlett added.

"He worked with my dad." I finally found my voice. Everybody looked down (except for Scarlett, they were all heads taller than me). "He was my dad's mentor. Apparently he's the real thing." I had heard countless stories about Professor Davies.

As we filed in I noticed Sirius still beside me. I dug my fingernails into Scarlett's wrist who tried to slink away, forcing her to the other side of the room. Sirius looked confused as we sat in the far most corner. I didn't need any more distractions today.

"Who knows what this is?" A short bald man with the most extravagant green glasses pointed to the markings on the ground. There were two white lines on opposite sides of a dark blue stretch of fabric.

Lily's hand was up in the air, I was surprised to see James and Remus's up in the air also... I guess everybody was keen to make a good impression. Professor Davies nodded at James.

"It's a duelling matt." A grin was beginning to spread across his and Sirius's faces.

"Correct. Now today, we're going to practice duelling. Starting off with a few basic spells. Can I get everybody in a line please." He was a rather short man, So short that I could barely see him over the sea of students. "Now, who can tell me some of the spells we use in duelling."

"Stupefy!" A voice called from behind me

"Excellent, what's your name?" He asked pointing back to Lily.

"Lily Evans." She said smiling slightly.

"Excellent, any others?"

"Bat bogey Hex." Sirius's low voice could be heard whispering to James. The entire class let out a low laugh. 

Professor Davies apparently heard it "Yes! The bat bogey hex, a rather unfortunate hex if you ask me. Your name?"

Sirius cleared his throat dramatically "Sirius Black." Professor Davies face flashed only momentarily in recognition. The class let out a low rumble as Professor Davies quickly recovered.

"Any other spells?" 

"Defence spells, like shield charms or disarming." I said quietly.

"Exactly! Excellent! We should never, ever forget defensive spells. They are the ones that save your life and let me tell you... you can't win a duel when you're dead." Professor pointed at me. "your name?"

"Camilla." I Said more confidently. "Camilla Mathieu-Saint-Laurent."

"Any relation to Robert Mathieu?" He rested his hands on my table peering over his glasses at me. His round stomach resting on my desk.