July Celebrations

My family are workaholics; My father was known to stay at the office for weeks on end and my uncle would lock himself in his room without food or water for merlin knows how long. Similarly, I had never once in my entire sixteen years seen my mother sit down and relax. Naturally, after sleeping for fourteen hours after my final exam I found myself wet, muddy and tired from Quidditch, going over my uncle's sketches for the upcoming september fashion weeks. With New York, London, Milan and Paris fashion events all piled into one month my uncle had decided to launch a whole new line. There was only a week more of school with many classes settling down, giving me more time to focus on the things i'd neglected during exams.

"You need a shower." I said to James who came up behind me. He shrugged plonking himself down beside me. "If Lily sees you like that, she won't come within ten feet." This got him up.

"How is it, he's been my best friend for five years and I can never get him to do what I want, yet in the last year you've been able to control him like a house elf." Sirius had taken James's spot. My blood pressure was rising quickly again. It had seemed that since exams were now over, I had so many free nerves to spare. These nerves had now decided to show up every time I spoke to Sirius. Despite my best attempts at distraction, every time he was near I became a blabbering idiot.

"It's easy, it's like controlling a dog." I had to distract myself, pretending to concentrate on looking over the sketches.

"Wouldn't know, I never had one." Sirius shrugged. "We had a house elf though, Kreacher. I hate him."

"Why'd you hate him?" I asked working to keep my voice steady. My grandparents had a house elf. He was lovely, I couldn't see how anybody hated an elf.

"He was in love with my mother. No exaggeration." Sirius added as he saw my facial expression. "I didn't treat the Black name right apparently. Didn't become a death eater or something?" He didn't sound the least bit concerned.

"Are your parents actually Death Eaters?" I had heard about the Death Eaters in the papers. Self-appointed loyal followers of one Lord Voldemort, or so he called himself. Anybody who named themselves so excessively was an absolute nutter in my books. My father had told me about their doings: Murders, tortures, you name it.  

"Not officially, but they're as good as. I suspect my brother has joined up." Sirius slumped down beside me. 

"I'm guessing you're going back to James's for summer holidays?" I asked

Sirius nodded, perking up significantly. "We're throwing a summer party, you should come. Bring Lily too, James would be thrilled."

"What about LIly?" James had reappeared joined by Peter, freshly laundered. They sat themselves down beside me, shifting through the thousand of cuts of fabric.

 "What are you doing?" Peter asked confused.

"She chooses what colour each of the dresses should be then writes the colour code on the sketches." Sirius said  almost immediately. All three of us looked up at Sirius shocked. I knew he had spent many late nights helping me, but I was surprised he payed that much attention. 

"Yea... that's actually exactly right." I smiled to myself. It was moments like these that made it difficult not to fall head over heels for Sirius. He was perfect, I mean what other guy appreciated fashion. Life was so much easier when he was just that egotistical rich boy.

***********************************************************************************************

The final Quidditch match of the season was the only thing standing between myself and summer. In my pile of nerves, I cursed James at ever putting me on the team. We trecked out onto the muddy grass towards the Gryffindor changerooms.