Halloween

Halloween was a nice break from the dark turn the semester had taken. With Lennox Crask back in classes, I found myself feeling even a little excited to see what the boys had come up with this year. It was almost a tradition, the Gryffindor boys would find a way to prank the school in the most ludicrous, time-consuming, disruptive way possible. Last year, they had created a giant lake in the middle of the second floor, causing all classes to be cancelled that day until Professor Dumbledore finally managed to get rid of it.

We couldn't let the boys have all the fun however, so Lily and I often found ways to play a couple harmless jokes on the fellow Gryffindors. Of course, our pranks were much less extravagant and dangerous, but a pelican head here or there can't hurt anybody.

"I'm almost surprised nothing has happened yet." Mary said cautiously walking down the stairs towards breakfast. I noticed she was gripping the handrails so tightly her hands were turning white, as though scared she was going to fall through the staircase and the further ten stories to her untimely death.

"Morning ladies." At that moment an unusually chirpy Sirius walked past us. Mary jumped at least a foot, clinging onto the bannister for dear life.

"Yea me too." Scarlett's voice shook sending a suspicious glance in Sirius's direction, equally triple checking each stair as she descended.

"I think you spoke too soon." We entered the Great Hall just in time to see the action. I pointed across to the Slytherin table and sure enough, there, seated on the furthest table were several Slytherin students in nothing else but muggle prom dresses, all eating breakfast angrily. James and Sirius who had taken their seats across from me were unable to control their laughter, struggling through some bacon sandwiches. Peter however was laughing so hard bacon was coming out of his nose.

Lily took one look at them in disgust before pushing away her plate in a huff, taking Severus by hand and marching him out of the hall. Even I couldn't maintain composure at the sight of Severus Snape in a midnight blue ballgown complete with rhinestones and a tiara.

It seemed that Matilda Rowe was not having a better day than the Slytherins as she stood with tears in her eyes and hands on her hips at the top of the stairs staring at the less than enthused Sirius Black.

"You spend every minute with those boys! Why can't you just come with me to Hogsmeade?" The tears in her eyes glistened. Sirius shrugged clearly unconcerned, still engulfing his bacon sandwich.

"I told you, I promised the boys." Sirius sighed looking between Matilda and the boys standing awkwardly in the corner pretending not to listen. "I guess, if you don't understand that this won't work."

"Do you mean we're over? You're breaking up with me? Just like that?" She asked shocked. Matilda Rowe had never been broken up with before.

"Yep." Sirius said popping the p, before swiftly grabbing James and walking off. Matilda stood there in the middle of the hall, bottom lip quivering and tears in her eyes.

"That's rough." Scarlett whispered under her breath as Matilda let out a wail and ran towards the toilets.

"Should we check on her?" I asked, the crowd had disintegrated and people were rushing to their classes. Nobody else seemed the least bit concerned by Matilda's dilemma and were determined to make it to class before the bell. In an effort to send a small condolence, I passed her the last chocolate chip molten muffin (hot property come snack time) before Scarlett pulled me towards charms.

"Have you ever noticed that Sirius never really pays attention to his girlfriends?" Mary asked as we practiced our banishing charms. The savage break-up was the talk of the morning as unfortunately most of the school had been a witness to it. I couldn't help but feel awful for Matilda, the poor girl was so obviously into Sirius (evidently much more than Sirius was into her).