Facing Reality

T+23 minutes (can you do that?!)

It was 12:23pm on Saturday Afternoon. The first day of the summer holidays. Mary's cotillian ball. Mary, Charlie and I stood in Mary's room pacing nervously at the silence in the ensuite.

"Oh my gosh Milla." Mary's voice came from inside the bathroom.

"What? What happened? Does it fit?" I leapt up. I could feel my heart hollow out, dilate and then implode. My hands were clammy and I could barely sit still.

"It's perfect." Her voice sounded distant. until the large white door of the ensuite opened.

Mary stepped out onto the balcony, the pale blue dress drifting behind her. There was a consensual gasp from Charlie and I as she strode through her bedroom. I couldn't pull the grin off my face. She looked beautiful. The blue dress trailed behind as she twirled around her bedroom. My hands shook with both nerves and excitement as I adjusted the waist one last time. I had done it, I had actually made a dress that looked lovely and that I was proud of. One that I could actually call haute couture. 

"I wish you could come to the cotillian but they have a strict pureblood only rule." She grimaced, still admiring herself in her long walk in wardrobe. "Bertram is coming at one thirty" She glanced up at the old grandfather clock. It ticked over a quarter to one. "Merlin I need to do my makeup."

There was a mad rush to get Mary ready. Charlie helped Mary with her hair while I stitched the final few 

Mary's mother was a curvy who I swore couldn't be more than thirty. The only hint of her age were the white roots in her dark braided hair, she moved with such agility and speed. 

"Mary. What is that?" She asked as her daughter landed on the lowest platform.

"It's my dress." She said simply. 

I could see the disapproval in her mother's face, but Bertram was already standing at the doorway. A goofy grin plastered across his barbie-doll face. She sighed stepping aside so Mary could rush into his arms.

Charlie and I hid in the shadows of the large house watching through the windows as Bertram led Mary across the green lawn into the magical car which was going to take them to the venue. It was final. This is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. 

... Now I guess we had to sneak out of Mary's house alone...

MARY'S DRESS (the one and only iconic Lupita Nyong'o Dress)

I was on top of the moon when I rushed home from Mary's. I twirled dancing with Allegra through the kitchen.

"What has gotten you so happy?" My mother commented, she raised her eyebrow suspiciously.

I shrugged "I'm just excited for the summer holidays." I grinned. In reality, a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.