A New Year

The new year had finally arrived and everybody was practically giddy with joy. Sirius and I unloaded the drinks together, dancing around one another behind the wooden countertop.

"You should finish getting changed." I said as he laid the final bottles out. "I can finish up here, you don't want to look like that when the fan club turn up."

Sirius's face flashed with recognition, glancing down at the black robe as though he forgot he was wearing anything at all. "Thank you" He raced off to get changed and I began ordering the drinks in the way I knew Sirius liked them (He was rather meticulous about lining them up perfectly with the labels facing inwards). After James's many parties the boys had gotten a system going. James was the host... obviously. Peter was in charge of the decorations (the boy surprisingly had an eye for interior design) and Remus was to keep everything under control (this job was by far the most strenuous and on numerous occasions meant conversations with the cops after a rowdy night). He was currently hiding every valuable ornament (which was basically every piece of the potter's furniture) away from sight. That left Sirius, who was in charge of drinks.

"James, are you wearing that?" I asked glancing down at James's denim jacket and striped shirt.

"I'm Elvis!" he exclaimed, proceeding to do an uncoordinated version of elvis's orgasmic gyrations. "we need to pay tribute to the master."

"This isn't a costume party." I nodded to the stairs. "change the shirt, but keep the jacket." I called as he slouched upstairs.

Remus skidded down the stairs next in a simple grey shirt, a neat brown trench coat and jeans. He held his arms out giving me a full view. I gave him a thumbs up and he returned to clearing all glass objects from the cabinet. The drinks were nearly done and the house was stripped bare. It wasn't long before Lily and the girls showed up a little early to help 'taste-test the drinks'.

"The wine's nice." Mary said holding out her cup for more. I obliged, filling her cup to the brim. "How much do we have?" she peered over the bar at the stacks of wine under the bench.

"More than enough for tonight," Sirius's voice returned from behind me and a glass of wine was handed to me. His arm guided me to the seat, a strong indication that he wanted to take over the bar. He prided himself on getting even Remus mortled on new years. I turned the bar corner, sliding beside Lily to face Sirius.

"Evening ladies." He said pouring himself some firewhiskey. I hiccupped as I tried to swallow my wine. He looked good. His black hair had been slicked back and the robe had been replaced by a black button down collared shirt which taunted us with a small peak at his chest. His sleeves were rolled up showing his various array of jewellery as he expertly poured drinks for the girls.

He leaned forward intuitively over the bar as I motioned him to come forward, I unbuttoned the next one down, revealing more of his chest and the thin gold necklace.

"Is that better?" He smirked, still leaning over the counter, his face was only centimetres from mine.

"Yea, makes people look away from the face." I replied. His upper lip curled as he began pouring more drinks for the other guests who had begun to arive. Lily nudged me under the counter suggestively.

As the night progressed and the vibes got drunker, I jumped from conversations, following in Remus's footsteps trying to make everybody feel welcome and included. I left a gossipy conversation with Emma and Kate to find myself in a heated conversation with Scarlett and Jacob involving the Hollyhead Harpies over the kitchen counter. Looking down, I found my drink refilled again.

"You have to stop doing that." I said to Sirius who shrugged resting his arm on my shoulder as we watched Scarlett throw her hands up, her small body raging in despair as Jacob called them "a charity girls team." He was definitely going to regret that comment.