•number five•

30 minutes to go.

Athena had washed herself and gotten ready, but the thing she was dreading most was telling everyone she had a fiancé.

she stared at herself in the mirror. she wore a red dress that clung to her like a second skin, showing off the shape of her body with a slit starting at the top of the thigh and flowing down her leg.

she sighed and hid a knife up her thigh in an unnoticeable holster.

always gotta be prepared.

she fixed her golden brown hair that flowed down her shoulders in wavy curls and walked out clasping her earring together.

she made her way down the hallway, the only thing heard were the sounds of her heels clicking amongst the massive white marble tiles.

she came to the end of the large hallway, she stopped and looked over the edge of the huge balcony over looking the massive decorated area.

once again, reality hit her. just like it did those other times, sending a shiver down her spine.

she didn't expect this. not at all. in all of her 21 years of living. she never expected to be forced into something just to stabilise her mafia.

when reality is less than expectation, then frustration and bitterness often result.

frustration was an emotion that was felt a lot by Athena. she had the temper of a two year old and didn't like to fuck around with peoples games.

"well don't you look stunning"

Athena turned around to her father, she glared at him.

"you don't look so bad yourself" bitterness laced through her words as her tone set the line straight.

she didn't want to fuck around with his games.

she went to walk away when her father grabbed her arm.

"Athena. i've tried to let this childish, immature and selfish unnecessary behaviour slide due to the circumstances but i've had enough!" Maximus said yelling.

Athena laughed bitterly.

"unnecessary? you think how i'm acting is unnecessary?!" she waved her arms around clearly aggravated.

"it's my birthday. and not even you and some silly betrothing bullshit isn't gonna stop me from having a nice time. please respect the fact that i don't wanna see nor talk to you at this very moment" she said lowly, her face letting her father know not to push any further.

"Athena, please, stay for a moment" her father begged in a tone that she hadn't heard in a long time. sadness and regret.

she turned around to meet his pleading brown eyes. her lips were set in a firm line as she contemplated whether or not she had the compassion to listen to him for a few seconds.

she curtly nodded to let him continue.

his shaky hand reached in to the inside pocket of his crisp, clean suit. he pulled his hand out of his jacket, his fingertips revealing a navy blue, elegant box and an envelope.

"before your mother died, she asked me to give you these when you aged 21" he paused, handing Athena the gifts.

"Athena, I miss her, everyday. everyday I wish she was here, with you and I. I'm well aware I've broken your trust, Athena, but I beg of you, I beg of you to find it in the deepest of your heart to not stay mad at me. it kills me. you're all I have left" Maximus pleaded for his only blood left to forgive him.