Rin's Birthday

Rin had asked Yuni to come to her room and do her hair before she went off for school. It surprised Rin when Yuni knocked on her door with hair tools in her hand. This was the first time Yuni had the chance to do a child's hair. Most of the time, she did Eri's or Kazue's hair because they never wanted to do anything to it.

"Alright, so what would you like me to do to your hair?" Yuni said, walking into the room.

Rin paused for a moment and thought, "Um... That hairstyle I saw on Akemi the other day. It was twisted and looked very nice."

"Oh!" Yuni exclaimed, "The French braid! That's super easy and adorable! I can do that, no problem."

"Oh, thank you so much!" Rin said, clasping her hands together as Yuni motioned for her to sit down on Rin's bed, "I almost forgot to tell you! I really loved your birthday party! Well, except for the part where you get kidnapped."

Yuni laughed as she started to do Rin's hair, "Aw, why thank you, sweet girl. I loved it too, except for that part. I'm sure that you have had many birthday parties before. I do hope none of them have ended that way."

"No, I've never had a birthday party," Rin said, sadly. "I... um... don't know when my birthday is."

Yuni dropped the brush she was holding and sat on the bed for a moment. She had spent so much time making Rin and everyone feel so comfortable in this new time that she never thought to ask her about what her past was like. Yuni knew the basics of everyone's stories, but never thought to ask about their everyday lives. It saddened her deeply to know that Rin did not even know when her birthday was.

"Wait, Rin, you don't know your birthday?" Yuni asked as she began to braid Rin's hair again.

Rin shook her head slowly, "No, I don't remember. After bandits killed my mother, father, and brothers, I never really thought about my birthday."

Yuni frowned and continued to do Rin's hair, "I see. Well, hmm. We should have a birthday party for you! How about next weekend? That way, we have enough time to plan. You can invite all your friends!"

"Okay! That sounds like so much fun!" Rin said as Yuni finished up her hair.

"There you go, my dear," Yuni smiled, "You are all done and look just as beautiful as ever."

"Thank you, Ms. Yuni," Rin replied, smiling back at Yuni.

Yuni playfully pouted at Rin as she got up, "I told you to call me Yuni. No need to call me 'Miss."

Rin nodded and gave Yuni a big hug. While Yuni hugged her back, she knew that the two of them were the same. Yuni had lost her parents young as well. She knew the pain of feeling alone in the world. Even though Yuni had the support of her family, she always felt alone. Like Rin, she didn't have a lot of time with her parents to know them. So, she wanted to cherish her time with Rin and give her a happy childhood while she could.

She sent Rin off to meet up with Shippo and Kohaku to go walk to school while she rounded up the adults and called for a meeting. They kept texting her and asking why they needed to go and meet, but Yuni's only response was, 'Just get to the living room ASAP, and that's a direct Crown Princess order!' She laughed as she entered the living room to see Sesshomaru, Inuyasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango, Goten, Miyabi, Renee, and Akemi sitting in their seats.

"So, what's this about, Crown Princess?" Akemi said sarcastically.

Renee looked up from her book and stared at Yuni, "Yeah, I'm at a really good point in my story. This better be important."

"Yes, yes, it is!" Yuni stated and walked to the center of the room, "Rin. She has never had a birthday. Hell, she doesn't even know when her birthday is! So, we decided to throw her party next weekend. May fifth!"