Chapter 31: Avrigg's Lost Days

[TRIGGER WARNING CONTINUE WITH CAUTION]
[SAD AND DEPRESSING BACKGROUND CONTENT IN THIS CHAPTER, YOU ARE WARNED]

When are you going to understand elf-girl? You'll never belong here. Not in this school, not in this country, not on the entire planet and not in your own house. You are a disgrace to humans, your whole being screams inhuman. Don't you get it? You will never be loved. You are not human.
Those words still spooked through her head, after all these years, she could still hear her voice. Avrigg never told anyone this, because the person who said it was the first girl she ever loved. Nina. She was her first love and she was afraid it might be her last. She tried to look strong. For her friends, her mother and most importantly her sister. From the day Maisey was born she had always known she would not go through the same things she went through. Avrigg would make sure that would never happen.. but it wasn't necessary because Maisey was loved by everyone. Of course, there were bullies every once a while but they didn't do the things to Maisey that bullies did to Avrigg. All these memories flooded through her mind and her heart ached. She didn't have an easy childhood. She was what she never wanted to admit.. broken. She finally accepted it when she stood there, in that spaceship, looking at her own face. Something she had despised for so long, because it was one of the many things she got bullied for. For so long she had burried all of these emotions inside of her but now that she saw what had changed in these past few months she couldn't hold back the hate, the sadness, the anger and the disgust for herself. The white around her eyes appeard in a more golden glow, humans didn't have golden eyes. Her skin wasn't as tanned as it was once upon a time, it looked like it was turning purple, slowly but still visible. She had grown a lot, Shiro used to be two heads taller than her, now she had the same height. Which meant she couldn't get in her own suit anymore, she actually used one of Shiro's. She took one more look at herself and punched the mirror, it broke and fell into a thousand pieces on the floor, her hand was gushing blood and she cried in pain.
She quickly ran to her closet and got out the first aid kit. She binded her arm and wrapped her hand tightly. She sighed sitting in the corner of the room, looking at the damage she had just caused. After all this time, everything still haunted her. Now she just needed to learn to live with it.

She was seven, just a few months away of becoming eight. It was late in the night, but she wanted some warm milk, it might help her sleep. Because people made sure she couldn't, even though she never told a soul about the things that happen at school. She soon realised she wasn't the only one awake.
"Lenn?" Avrigg asked confused. The tall man turned around, his wavy, blonde hair got messed up in the process and his green eyes widened.
"What are you doing up?" He whispered, his thick, British accent was shaking. Like he was scared.
"I could ask you the same question," Avrigg frowned, she had always been suspecious of him.
"I have to buy some food," Lenn answered, "for your mother."
"Because she's pregnant?"
"Yes, she's hungry," Lenn answered and Avrigg looked at the bag that he held onto.
"And you need a whole bag to do so?" Avrigg folded her arms, her voice turned cold, "you are leaving. And you don't care about my mother or your daughter. Giving up so soon?"
"You're quite a clever girl," Lenn smirked, "make sure my daughter doesn't forget me."
"She won't have to," Avrigg said cold. "I'll make sure she'll never even know you in the first place."
"Avrigg, wake up, we're here! At Kerberos!" Shiro said while pounding on her door.
"I'm coming, you guys go I'll be there soon," she said as she rubbed her head.
"Are you allright?" He asked.
"I'm fine," she lied.
She could hear him leave and she sighed. She looked down at her bandaged hand and the pieces of the mirror scattered on the ground. She left it like that and went to help her team.
"Isn't this exciting Shiro?" Matt asked with a big smile on his face. Seeing the boy smile from ear to ear over ice samples made her feel good, she had grown to love that kid over the months and admired his hard working skills.
"I think you guys get a little more excited over ice samples than I do," Shiro smiled.
"This could be proof! We could be the first humans to discover proof that alien lives exist!" Matt said.
"Sorry I took so long guys," she said, "I've slept through my alarm."
"That can happen Avrigg, we're just glad you're here now," Sam said, his words made her feel at ease.
She smirked as she noticed Shiro holding the machine for the Holts, she grabbed some of the ice on the ground and was about to throw it at Shiro. Untill something startled them.
A noice caused them all to look into the same direction, an alien ship appeard and they wanted to take them.
She pulled Matt up and pushed him infront of her, trying to make sure he got away. But the whole team got caught and got sucked into the ship.
"Take them all to the bridge, we shall speak to emperor Zarkon," a purple alien said. Avrigg eyes widened as he had a much alike appearance to hers. She frowned, that wouldn't be possible. Avrigg was human, she couldn't look like any of these people.
"Wait," a thick male voice said as he walked towards them. Shiro and the others were knocked out, but she wasn't.
"We'll keep this one here," the man said as he looked down at her.
"But.." the other one stammered.
"I'm the captain, it is my call," the man said, "now take them away."
They watched as her friends got dragged away, untill they were left alone.
"Are you gonna torture me?" She sneered as the man pulled a blade. He cut through her cuffs and pulled her up.
"We're leaving," he said stern as he pulled her along.
"But.. my friends," she stammered being dragged away from her crew.
"I can only take one," he said, "you can save them later."
"Promise?" she asked drowsy.
"Promise," he said. She stared into his eyes, she had trust issues and she prayed that he was telling the truth. She didn't understand why she followed him so easily, but something about him felt farmiliar.
"We have to go or we will both be screwed," he said, "I already went against the rules."
"And why is that?" She asked as she walked behind him.
"I just blew my cover," he answered and they got into a fighting ship.
"Why would you blow your cover to save me? You don't even know me," Avrigg asked confused.
"But I do," he said as he started up the fighter and flew away from the kruiser.
She wanted to sit down but he threw her an air mask. Quite confused she pulled it over her head.
"We have to jump out of this," he said as he gave her a jetpack, "Sendak is going to blow this fighter up."
"What? Who's Sendak? Why are you doing this? If you know who I am why don't you prove it?"
"No time," he answered and he pulled her out of the fighter. They landed on the other side of Kerberos, which was a lot further away from where her team was getting ice samples. As they got down and hid, a canon was loaded and blew up the fighter. The ship with her friends flew away in hyperspeed, Avrigg sobbed as her eyes remained fixated on the point where her friends had just been.
"Kolivan," the man said through a communicator, "send a patrol to Kerberos."
"Why? What have you done now?"
"I just saved a prisonor from Sendak's ship and our transport got blown up," the man said.
Avrigg frowned and sat down. All of this made her head hurt.
"Fine," the other man grunted after a long period of silence, "Thace is closest, he'll come."
The man sighed and sat down besides her as the two stared into nothingness.
"You said you knew me," she said, "how come I don't know you?"
"Because I left before you could remember," he answered softly.
"Proof it," she sneered, the man sighed and folded his muscular arms.
"Your full name is Avrigg Leya Egan, you took your mother's last name, your mother's full name is Cassiopeia Molly Egan, she comes from a Greek heratige, she told me that," he said.
"How do you know that?" She asked shocked.
"Because I am your father," he answered, "your name comes from the Galra, it's an ancient name with a deep meaning to our culture, it means soul warrior, because from day one I knew you were strong, your second name comes from my sister, who died a hero to the Galra empire in battle.."
"I don't understand," she whispered, "explain it."
"The Galra empire has been ruling the universe for ten thousand years, Emperor Zarkon has been alive for over ten thousand years, I used to believe in him, and I was fighting on the wrong side of this war, before I had you," he explained, "my fighter crashed on earth, your mother found me and she helped me.. she was different.... she was amazing and I fell in love with her and we had you.. being half Galra I knew life would be hard for you.. because you could look.. different from most humans."
"I know all about that," she chuckled at her own misery.
"I knew of rebels, so I joined the Blades of Marmora, a Galra group against the empire," he continued explaining, "because I needed this war to stop, so you may grow up in a safe universe, because you are my everything and if anyone would hurt you.. anyway, it was tough to get in, but I've proved worthy.. since I was a captain before I crashed, I could easily get back into my old ranks, they had no idea I joined rebels in the time I was 'missing'. I recognized you by your eyes, we have the same color. You've always had my eyes."
Avrigg stared at him for a while, everything seemed to make sense but for some reason she didn't trust what this man had to say.
"What is your name?" She asked.
"Vryss," he answered, "you don't believe me, do you?"
"It is quite hard to believe," she said.
He smiled and took out a picture of his pocket, he gave it to her and she recognized it. It was a picture of her, when she was three years old, she was playing with toy spaceships. She turned the picture around and saw her mother's writing.
I guess you might see her soon, she loves the galaxy, just like you Vryss. Be safe, I love you - Cassie.
"That was the last time I went to earth," he said, "I wanted to go again, but I had to keep my cover up.. I have carried that picture with me for twenty two years."
"This was the day after my birthday," Avrigg said, "mom got me those spaceships."
"You remember?" He asked her confused and she shook her head.
"No," she answered, "mom told me that."
"What else happened in your life?" Vryss asked her curious about his daughter.
"Well, I got a sister when I was eight," she said, "but her father didn't leave to fight a war, he left because he was a coward. And in case you were curious, I like girls, only girls."
"Have you got a girlfriend?"
"No, the last one..." Avrigg felt a lump in her throat, "it didn't work. But that's fine, I had mom and Maisey."
"Maisey?" He asked.
"That's my sister," Avrigg answered, "her name is Maisey Carynne Egan. She is very kind and caring."
"She also took your mother's name?" He asked her curious.
"Mom decided that, and I doubt Maisey would want her last name to be Yorkwill." Avrigg giggled, "I can already picture her flabbergasted face if one of us would tell her that."
"Do you want to get back to her?"
"Of course," Avrigg answered, "but I have things to finish here in space."
Vryss frowned confused. Avrigg had made a big choice in these past few minutes, she wanted to do something big. She wanted to do what Vryss was doing, for her mother and sister, so they could live in peace. Avrigg was always meant to fight, she could feel it in her bones. So she'd protect them, no matter what. And now that she was here she had to save her friends.
"I will fight with the Blade of Marmora against the Galra, for a safer universe, I will save my friends from the Galra and keep them safe," Avrigg said, "I will protect the innocents."
"I did not give you the wrong name," Vryss chuckled proudly, "you have the strong soul of a warrior. I'm proud."
Avrigg smiled, the only people that had told her that were her mother and her sister. Now she had a father, she finally knew she never belonged with humans, she was too inhuman for that.