Chapter 36: Is This The End?

As they were fighting Zethrid, Ezor and Acxa, Shiro was flying away with Lotor. They had no idea what happened to Shiro, they just knew that they had to stop him. It was like he suddenly switched sides, but there must be more to it. Shiro wouldn't just switch sides like that.
"I'm coming your way to help! Coran shouted.
"No, Coran!" Keith shouted, "the Castle barely survived the last time it fought those ships!"
"Keith's right! The castles defenses aren't strong enough," Allura added.
"Coran, you have to shoot just below our position!" Maisey shouted.
"Yeah, she's right! Destroy the rock we're pinned against!" Keith said.
"Allright," Coran said and did as they requested. Voltron tried to hold back the beam from Lotor's ships as Coran blasted the rock away, giving them time to get out of range.
"Where's Shiro?" Keith asked.
"Over there!" Pidge shouted as they started to fly towards the pod he was in, but Lotor's generals had different ideas. They shooted some sort of robe around them and pulled them away.
"Oh I'm so done with those three! Let's blast them apart!" Maisey shouted outraged. As they got thrown into another asteroid, something happened which surprised them all.
"Is that a wormhole?" Lance asked.
"Haggar!" Allura said, "it has to be Haggar. She must have gained the ability.. but how?"
"There is no time to worry about that now, we have to get Shiro back," Keith said.
"But Shiro is not Shiro anymore," Hunk said.
"I know, somthing is wrong with him, the Galra or Lotor must be behind that." Keith said, "you know he would never give up on us, so we can't give up on him."
They tried to catch up with the ships, they went as fast as they could, but as voltron they wouldn't make it. They were too slow.
"We have to disband!" Maisey said, "Keith and I can make it through!"
"But you two will be alone on the other side," Pidge said.
"Do it!" Keith said. As they disband Keith and Maisey made it through just in time.
But when they got on the other side they did not expect so many cruisers.
"Allright, we've gotta play this smart," Keith said.
"Get Shiro, I'll give you cover!" Maisey shouted as she started blasting at cruisers.
But then Acxa came in to blast at her, Maisey took this oppertunity and tried to fight her, she got one good shot and smirked when Acxa had to get it all together. She saw Keith stick the black lions head through the walls of the cruiser Shiro had gone into. He could get Shiro, but then Ezor appeared as well, giving Acxa the oppertunity to attack Keith.
"Bring it on," Maisey grunted as she started blasting.
Keith was trying to avoid Acxa and tried to get to Shiro.
"Keith, what do you wanna do?" She asked him as he followed Shiro.
"We have to help him, I know he's in there.." he answered.
She frowned, all of this made her sadness turn into anger and hate and just now she had been filled with it. It all became too much, for two years people had been treating her like she was a fragile object but the truth was, she could handle herself. She was angry at her sister, for not returning to her, she was angry with Keith, for hurting her and then kissing her, she didn't know what to feel, she was angry at Shiro for punching her in the face, but she had to admit that wasn't Shiro's doing... He wouldn't hurt her. She was angry at Lotor for lying, not only to her but to her friends, especially Allura. So many people have hurt her and she hated it, she was filled with anger and hatred, so no, she didn't want to help Keith.. that sounded harsh and cold, but maybe that was what she needed to be.
She was just about to pull back when she realised.. What if it was Lance in there?
Lance..
He had always been there for her, always.. No questions asked. And she had hurt him, by leaving to find her sister.. Everything that she had gone through, he knew what that felt like and yet he didn't turn to hatred.. Lance was angry, but they made it better.. No, Lance would help despite all of the above.. she frowned once more.. How could she ever hate? She despised hatred and all that came with it.. and she couldn't believe that she was just about to let Keith do this all by himself, just because of her own feelings.. No, this wasn't Maisey.. She had done that to one friend and promised herself to never do it again.. She felt ashamed for her recent behaviour and the hatefull thoughts that had dwelled her mind. She was better than this..
"Allright, let's help him," she said after something that felt like hours, but were just mere seconds.
And so they followed Shiro, he landed on some nearby planet and so they followed his footsteps, into an elevator.
"Woah, Maisey," Keith startled at the look of her face, "are you okay?"
"I'm fine," she said cold, staring ahead into nothing but passing lights.
"It's just that you, have some bad injuries from that punch," Keith said concerned, she looked at him, she wished she could look more compassionate, but the blood around her green irises provented her from doing so.
"Really, it's fine Keith," she said with a smirk on her face, "besides, Shiro or not.. I will get him back for this."
"I don't blame you," Keith grinned, they sighed once the elevator came to a stop. The doors opened and showed them a dark place, with some things that appeared to be glass tubes.
"What is this place?" Keith asked.
"I don't know," Maisey said as she walked to the nearest tube, she rubbed some dust off and was shocked by what she saw, "they're Shiro's- ."
She couldn't finish her sentence by the shock it had given her. The lights turned on and all different kinds of Shiro's appeard in each tube.
"They're his clones," Keith whispered.
"No," Maisey said, "these are failed clones."
"Hello, Keith," a raw voice behind them spoke suddenly, "Hello, Maisey."
They turned around and saw Shiro, but he wasn't the Shiro they knew. His eyes appeard to be somewhat glowing, like he was posessed. Which, he kind of was.
"Shiro, it's gonna be okay," Keith said.
"Yes, I know," Shiro said cold.
"We just have to get back to the Castle," Keith said, but Shiro started running towards them.
"We are not going anywhere!" Shiro screamed as he punched Keith aside. He focused on Maisey, while Keith tried to get back on his feet. Shiro knew that Maisey would be less of a threat due to her stature.
She tried her best to fight him, but she had to admit that Shiro was ten times stronger then she was. So, she had to play it smart. She tried to dodge him, but he was fast. She tried to block his muscles, something she had done at the Kral Zera, but unlike that Galra he wasn't off guard or even stupid enough to expose a muscle like that. She did get one punch in his face, but it didn't work, so he kicked her so hard she flew backwards into two of the Shiro tubes breaking the glass and getting several cuts from it.
"No!" Keith screamed outraged, "you can fight me, kill me, I don't care!"
Maisey got herself upright to look at the two friends that saw each other like brothers, Keith raised his sword and pointed it at Shiro.
"But you don't hurt her," Keith spat out with rage in his voice.
She saw how Keith was filled with anger as he charged towards Shiro and started a battle, but Keith's appearance changed. It left her shocked and astonished at the same time. She also felt little butterflies in her stomach since he wanted to protect her so badly.
She wanted to go back and help him, but the two Shiro's from the tubes had woken up. And began to fight her.
One of them was missing an eye, it was like a patch, but with his own skin it seemed and the other one appeared to have an extra large arm sticking out of  his chest.
"Let's fight two messed up Shiro's," Maisey squeled, "that's a sentance I never thought I'd say."
Both hands on her spear, she tried to fight them off, but despite the fact that they were failed experiments they were still pretty strong.
She eventually defeated one eyed Shiro by cutting of the robotic arm. That was it. The arm!
She ran as fast as she could to the edge of the level she was on, and saw Keith fight Shiro at a lower level.
"Keith! Cut off his arm!" She screamed, but three armed Shiro appeard and missed her face by just a mere inch.
She tried her best as much as she could to cut the arm off, but that third arm came in handy for him. It actually made it a lot harder for her to reach the robotic arm with her bayard.
She finally defeated three armed Shiro, and saw how low Shiro and Keith had gone, she tried to get closer but she couldn't go faster, her leg was hurting a lot.
She clenched onto it, she was bleeding.
She took out the black ribbon that always held her hair up in a ponytail and tied it around her leg. She grunted in pain, and limped towards Keith and Shiro. Despite the fact she was two levels away she could hear them scream at each other.
"Shiro, I know you're in there!" Keith said, "you once made me a promise, you told me you would never give up on me, so I won't give up on you!"
"And I should've abandoned you, just like your parents did," Shiro shouted, "they saw what you are.. worthless, broken."
"I'm not leaving without you!" Keith begged.
"Actually," Shiro said, "none of us are leaving!"
And the fight continued, but the systems were booting up for something. It frightend her.
But that wasn't everything.. No, Shiro's robotic arm transformed into a blaster.
Or more like a canon. But as it was transforming, Shiro was unable to fight.
"Keith! Now is your change! Cut the arm off!" Maisey shouted with all the strength she had left for now.
Shiro must have heard it as wel, because he turned around to face her, with an evil smirk on his face. He aimed at her.
With wide open eyes she stared at him, rather shocked and frozen. Was this how she was going to die? Killed by something that was supposed to be her friend? Among the guy that she cared so deeply for? Was this the end?
The arm was charging up to blow her up, but she was paralyzed. She couldn't move.
"No!" Keith shrieked as he punched the arm away, just in time.. the blast came into the wall behind her, but this blast was strong, it cut off the entire rock that a part of the building was hanging onto. She ran as quick as she could to get on a steady ground. She jumped and fired her jetpack, making it just in time. She was panting heavily as Shiro was aiming at Keith. No way she would let him hurt Keith.
"Hey faker!" She shouted at Shiro, "are you sure you wanna waste your time on trying to kill him? I'm much more intresting to kill!"
Shiro however listened to her as returned his aim back at her.. but this time she wouldn't stand still, no she would make him work.
Shiro missed her several times, but blasted more parts of the building. Including the part they were on.
So Keith and Shiro ended up fighting on the lowest level. Maisey went there as fast as she could, while everything around her was crumbling.
But when she got closer, she saw Keith and Shiro hanging. His sword was what kept them from falling. Shiro was unconscious and the arm was cut off.
Keith looked up, with a strange look in his eyes.
"Maisey!" He shouted as he tried to hold on, "you have to go! Save yourself and see if the team is allright!"
"No!" She screamed as she tried to figure out a plan.
"You have to!" He shouted back, but she refused to go.
"No, I'm not leaving you!" Maisey cried out.
"Just go, you don't have much time to escape," Keith said, "just leave us."
"No, I can't," she screamed back at him, "and I won't."
"Why not?" He shouted more angry than sad as he was on the mere edge of falling.
"Because I love you!" She shouted so loudly it echoed throughout the crumbling of the building.
With wide open eyes he stared at her from the distance, he opened his mouth to say something, but never had the change to speak again. Because his sword, could no longer hold on, and they fell.
"NO!" Maisey screamed in agony as she watched them fall, "KEITH!"
But it didn't matter, because the part she was on fell too, but she hit her head and lost consciousness.
What better way to die than telling him that you love him?