Chapter 61: Night Terrors

Three months had passed since Keith left and she had been alone with Lance in her house. Keith checked in on her every day, because if she wasn't feeling okay he would come back to her.. So she lied to him, she wasn't okay but she was very good at pretending to be okay, not only to Keith and Lance, but also herself. Because maybe if she'd keep telling herself that she was okay her brain might actually be convinced by it.
But three months had passed and her brain wasn't convinced and she had been staring at the ceiling every night, the time passed quickly because she wasn't really paying attention to anything besides the void.
The screams. That is what brought her back to reality, Lance's night terrors helped her get her mind straight, too bad he had to be in such a situation.
"Please, do not take her! I'm begging you!" Lance screamed on the top of his lungs, "why did you leave me? Was I not enough for you?"
It was the same every night, his anxiety was taking over him.
Night terrors weren't just bad dreams, no, night terrors actually keep you trapped in your fears.
"Lance," she said as she crawled into his bed, shaking him so he'd wake up.
He was panicking, his arms swung around and his shirt sticked to his body because of all the sweating..
"LANCE!" She shouted a few more times before  he finally managed to wake up.
His eyes were wide open and filled with fear and confusion, his night terrors were luckily a lot lesser than three months ago, but they weren't gone and all Maisey could wonder was how she'd make them go away for him.
"Maisey.." he cried out as his sweaty hands clamped themselves onto the back of her shirt. She stroked his hair as he kept on crying, eventually he managed to fall asleep and so she'd let go of him and sit in the game chair that belonged to Avrigg and watched if he slept peacefully or not. Eventually she fell asleep too in the chair. That happened every night.

"Hi there Tiny!" Avrigg said, "do you have what I asked for?"
"Yes, I got the ring," she sighed. Soon Avrigg was going to propose to Romelle, in the earth way, Avrigg had made Maisey talk to Romelle about earth's customs so Romelle was aware of marriages.
"Yes, you're the best," Avrigg cheered and then her face fell, "are you okay Tiny?"
"Yeah, I'm fine," she lied. She tried to look as honest as possible. Avrigg narrowed her eyes as she looked into her eyes, Maisey just dropped the box with the ring so she wouldn't get to look any longer.
"Oops, sorry I dropped it," she said.
"I'm back!" Lance shouted as he closed the door.
"How was gardening?" Maisey asked, since last week Maisey had assigned him to gardening, hoping he would find a passion to make him happy again. He'd already tried cooking and art but neither worked out for him.
He could cook, he just simply didn't like it..
"It was great actually," he said , "I really liked it!"
"That's great! I'm so glad you found something," she said, Lance nodded and walker upstairs to take a shower since he was covered in dirt.
"So, when's the last time you talked to Keith?" She asked Maisey.
"This morning," she said, "why do you ask?"
"Oh, no reason, he stopped by last week you know," Avrigg said, "he said he was a little worried about you, should he be worried?"
"No," Maisey sneered, "I'm totally fine, he has no reason to worry. Now if you'll excuse me I have some chores to do."

The hollow feeling inside of her remained, none of it faded away and she hated the feeling. Why was she feeling like this? It consumed her. It had been several days again since she talked to her sister and she was currently waiting for Keith's daily call. The door bell rang so she sighed and walked towards the door, when she opened it she saw Keith standing infront of her. She had no idea how to respond to his sudden surprise but by the look on his face he wasn't here for a happy reunion.
"Keith," she whispered surprised.
"Your sister called me," he grunted as he let himself in by walking past her, "do you know how frustrating it is for me to hear about your well being from your sister?"
"What the hell did she tell you?" Maisey asked him confused.
"That she was talking to you a few days ago, and she noticed that you are not well," Keith said, "I am such a horrible boyfriend, I can't even tell if my own girlfriend is okay or not."
"That's not true, I lied to you on purpose," she said honest, "you are on an important mission, you shouldn't even be here right now."
"This is exactly where I should be," Keith grunted, "you are more important to me than that mission, why would you lie to me?"
"Because you are trying to help millions of lives and I can not be in the way of that," Maisey said.
"I don't care if I'd be helping billions, you will always come first to me," Keith said, "I thought we were good. But you've been lying to me for three months."
"For your own good, I couldn't have you here making me feel better and let millions of people rot," she said, "you know I wouldn't want that."
"I know that, but Avrigg could've done that job too," Keith said but Maisey shook her head no.
"No, she couldn't," she said, "only you can, Keith. You are a paladin of Voltron, half Galra and also the leader, you are the only one who could have done a good job."
Keith stared at her unsure what to say.
"I am sorry for lying to you," she said, "but you need to be on that mission."
"I need to be with you." He said as he took her hands in his.
"I love you, so much," she said, "but you really don't, so what I'm still sad over Allura's death, I will learn how to deal with it and you need to be helping the Galra.. you know you do."
Keith had his arms crossed and his brows furrowed together as he looked at her, speechless. The front door opened again and Lance walked in.
"Keith, man, it's good to see you," Lance said.
"It's good to see you too," Keith said.
"So what brings you here?" Lance asked.
"Maisey," he said, "Avrigg told me about.."
"About her not being well," Lance finished his sentance, "she didn't tell you exactly for this reason mate."
She hadn't told Lance anything about her actual well being, so she was surprised by his sudden speech.
"I get that but.."
"No buts," Lance said, "she was thinking of you while making that decision, so you'd continue your mission.. so I think it's best you get back to your mission Keith, Maisey would want that."
"Please stop talking like I'm not here," she said, "I'm right here."
"Yeah we know, I was just helping you out," Lance sighed, "but I do get why Keith is here.. I really understand because maybe if I had been more involved with Allura, she.. she never would've died."
"Don't say that, it's not your fault," Maisey said, "you were an amazing boyfriend to her and nobody could have prevented her from sacrificing herself for everyone.. don't talk yourself down."
Lance nodded and Maisey diverted her attention back to Keith. She walked towards him and kissed him passionately. She would be honest with him from now on.
"I will be honest with you from now on, but you must continue your mission," she said.
"I don't know..."
"You must Keith, they need you," she said, "they need you more then ever before.."
Keith stared into her eyes before making his decision.
"Okay," he said.
"Will you stay tonight?" She asked him softly and he nodded. All was well.

She stared at the ceiling once more as she watched Keith crawl into bed besides her, they started to kiss and they got lost in the moment untill..
"NO! Please don't!" Lance screamed, "I.. I can't be alone.."
Maisey jumped out of bed but Keith remained shocked and glued to the bed.
"Wait, this is what you go through every night?" He asked her surprised.
"Yes, he's got night terrors," she said as she ran out of the room to help Lance.
She luckily got Lance to wake up quickly, he clunched himself onto her and eventually fell peacefully asleep.
"It used to be worse," she told Keith who was standing in the door opening, "it used to take me at least five minutes to wake him up and two hours for him to fall back asleep, and then he'd start screaming again.. he's slowly getting better."
"I never knew you had that much strength in you, to help him with that," Keith said astonished.
"Thank you, but Avrigg used to have them too so I sort of know what I'm doing," she said.
"Avrigg had them?"
"Yes, Avrigg has been bullied and beaten  since day one in the kinder garten, that takes quite a lot of mental health away," Maisey explained, "she has a lot more strength then I do."
"I think you're both strong," Keith said.
"If that's true," she said, "we've got it from our mom. She was strong, like Allura was."

So, this chapter sucks.. I am sorry..
Anyway, I am sorry that it has been taking me so long to update, it is so extremely hot in my country these past few weeks, so I've been swimming a lot.. and I am currently dealing with some stupid personal shit.. do you know what it's like to break up with someone you still love because of angxiety and then 2 years later you still love them? Well let me tell you it is not fun.. he is also in the same summer friendgroup so it's not like I never see him anymore, and well he is a really good guy, I'm not saying tht because of my feelings for him I am saying that because he is so like yeah.. I should write a book and call it "how to be a dumbass like me"  haha
Anyway I hope you enjoyed this crappy update and I will try my best to update soon..
Stay safe and stay healthy!
Byee