Pt 9. New Friends and Holidays

It had been less than a week, and Regina had successfully not left the apartment, not even once. She would sleep in past Mavis and Atta and then fall asleep right after dinner. Of course, she wasn't really sleeping, but the adults bought it. Mavis worked in the nursery while Atta spends the whole day looking at pack records and talking to other Pack Informers. That meant no one was home and no one was forcing Regina to meet the pack.

That left Regina sitting on the couch, looking at a picture book. She didn't know all the words, but she knew enough to understand the pictures. Mavis said they were good 'building blocks.'

That's when the door unlocked, and both Mavis and Atta were still at work.

Regina didn't even notice that she had shifted. One moment, life was good, and the next, she was the protector of the den. She was silent as she crawled off the couch, right in front of the main door.

"Mom said we just need to hit Mavis. After that, we should be-"

The door opened, and as soon as she could see the first intruder, Regina lunged.

The target let out a scream, and someone else started crying. Regina focused on the human underneath her.

It was a girl. Her skin was much darker than anyone Regina had met. Her hair was black, long, and it seemed to be twisted somehow. There were beads also braided in the hair. Regina had never seen anyone like this girl.

"Hey! Leave her alone."

Regina was then knocked over by being hit by, something. She rolled and looked over to see another woman leaning over the girl. Her skin was even darker than the other girl. Her hair was also braided, but hers were larger with colored beads like the other girl. In her hands was a box, and there was a crying child at the woman's feet.

Seeing that the younger girl was safe, the woman put the box down and picked up the crying child. She bounced him and shushed him while the girl got up from the floor.

"Hey, Kalu? Wasn't Mavis's house supposed to be empty? Her baby died a while ago, and this wolf is much older than a baby."

These people were pack members that somehow knew Mavis. They also knew the password; maybe that meant they were safe?

'Speranza, ask Mavis about two girls with very dark skin.'

While her wolf went to talk to Mavis, Regina got up from the floor and back into her protective stance. Until she got word from Mavis, she wasn't going to leave her den.

"I've never seen this wolf; let's just close the door and go back to mom. Jonah needs a nap anyways."

So, the two girls creep out of her den, and the door closed. Just to make sure, Regina stayed in wolf form and watched the door.

****

'Someone entered the house, two girls with dark skin and a baby.'

Mavis looked over at Mable and noticed Kalu and Aisha were gone. She scanned the crowd of small children that were finally calming down, and Jonah was also missing. They had probably gone up for some strange reason and freaked out Luce.

Tucking the blanket around Ethan, Mavis got up to where Mable sat.

"Have you gotten anything from the girls? Something about a wolf in my house."

The woman turned with eyebrows furrowed. "Yes, they just asked about a wolf. What's that all about?"

"That is my daughter." Mavis let out a sigh and contacted Regina.