Pt 16. Fate and Failures

Mavis surprisingly relaxed after the last rogue attack. Regina expected it to be worse, but she was allowed to go out with Aisha the day after she woke up. Apparently, the girl found a new sweet shop that they just had to try out. Regina agreed; she was just happy to go out of the packhouse.

The days flew by, and life was peaceful at the pack. Regina was right; things only got better. She went out with Aisha, talked more with Atta and Mavis, and got to play with pups in the nursery. There really wasn't much to complain about.

There was an incident at the beginning of July. Mavis and Atta forgot to mention to Regina that on the fourth, people like to shoot things into the air that blow up. Bright lights and loud noise, wasn't a bit hit on Regina. She spent the rest of that night and several nights after under her blankets with headphones.

Weeks later, Mavis and Regina noticed a problem. It had officially been six weeks since she got her ears pierced, and it was time to change into fancier earrings.

But they were all larger, heavier, and too much for her newly pierced ears to handle.

"I guess we didn't really think this through, huh."

Regina sighed and set down another pair of earrings. They were so pretty, and hurt so much.

Mavis, instead of looking distraught, was smiling.

"Since these don't work, I guess we will have to find some new ones."

New earrings, that meant going back to the mall and shopping.

Regina and Mavis shared a smile and got up simultaneously to get ready to drive down to the mall.

Shopping for earrings was easier this second time. They went for smaller and simpler but still found some gorgeous pairs. There were even some that attached to the top of her ear with a chain linking down to the piercing.

In leaving, there was that feeling again, tugging her down to the carpeting shop. Last time Regina had gone, there was nothing there for her. This time wouldn't be any different, and she wanted to try on the new earrings.

So, she turned the other way and walked away with Mavis.

'Go back.'

Regina sighed and ignored her wolf. She would go back, smell something strange, and nothing would change. What would she have been looking for anyway?

'Please go back; he's waiting.'

Regina paused. Her chest was tight, and everything in her was pulling her backward. Add whatever Speranza was talking about, maybe there was something there. It wouldn't hurt, right?

Mavis was looking at a display case and didn't even notice Regina turn back and go through the mall.

By now, Regina knew the path to the shop and found the Little Forest easily; the tugging in her chest only helped. There was that smell from last time, but stronger. She could smell the fruit like it was right in front of her.

Robin greeted Regina when she opened the door, but she didn't care. She could tell the person she was looking for was closer; she could feel Speranza close, urging her to keep going.

Following her instincts, Regina found herself at the back door. Her heart was pounding, and without thinking, she pulled the door open.

It smelled sweet. The room was small, with only one small window, which meant the smell was quite strong. Regina didn't know what fruit, but it was terrific.

Then she noticed the man. Their eyes met as he stood from the chair, and time seemed to freeze.

He was handsome. His clothes were a mess, and his hair was dirty, but his eyes; they were captivating. They were dark blue, not bright or shining, more like the ocean's deepest parts. They held sadness, sorrow, and so much more that Regina wanted to understand. His hair was long, black, and messy, almost curling and hanging limp.