Pt 21. Curious Letters

His ears were ringing, and his legs were in pain. What had happened? Why was his head pounding?

Sergio managed to open his eyes to be staring at dirt and grass. He tried to move to stand up only for pain to shoot up his spine. He let out a shout and fell to the ground.

What was going on? Where was Regina?

"Re-" He ended up coughing, unable to get the whole word out.

Turning his head instead of his body, he looked to see why his legs weren't moving. That's when he saw the damage.

The pickup truck he had decided to drive Regina down was flipped over, the roof right on his legs. The entire weight of the car was resting on his legs, understandably hurting them.

Coughing and blinking, Sergio noticed the ringing was finally gone. Looking back up, his head was clearer.

There was a significant dent on the vehicle's right side, but he couldn't see the left side. What had happened? All Sergio could remember were blinding lights and pain on the left side of his body.

As he moved, pain did flare from his left but not as bad. His body was already starting to heal itself.

Still, he had a truck on his legs. There was no way he could get that off from where he was. Laying his forehead in the dirt, Sergio gave in and closed his eyes.

****

"Sir! Are you alive?"

Sergio let out a groan and twitched.

"I need help over here!"

His head hurt so much. He couldn't feel his legs.

"Push! How is he doing?"

"We have a pulse and breathing, but he's damaged. It looks like he was hit twice, once from the left and another from the right."

They were all being too loud.

Then the weight left his legs, and Sergio let out a sigh. Already, he could feel his legs beginning to heal. Around what seemed to be a large gathering of humans.

"Sir, please remain calm. The ambulance is coming to drive you to the hospital. Your legs were crushed."

He had to get away, shift without the humans noticing.

Thankfully, someone came to flip him onto his back. Morning light graced him, which meant it had been hours since the accident. He closed his eyes again; it hurt to keep them open.

"Jacob, I need help over here!"

"I'll be right back, Sir, don't you worry."

This could end up working.

Opening his eyes again, he noted where all the humans were. They were all up on the road, looking at the truck and helping guide the ambulance. Taking his chance, Sergio shifted.

It was more painful than usual, the broken legs shifting with the rest of his body. Somehow, he managed to crawl into the bushes, facing the humans.

From there, he could see the truck and the large dent on the left side. Why couldn't he remember what happened? And where was Regina!

"Where there any other survivors?"

"There wasn't any sign of it. It there was, they were long gone by the time we got the call."

Regina was gone.

Sergio closed his eyes as he tried to remember.

They were driving to Wyoming. To find Regina's family. It was late at night, and he was going to pull off to sleep. Then a flash of light blinded him and sudden pain from his left side.