Pt 10. Needed Distractions

Regina knocked on the door, and Atta opened it with a smile.

"Thanks for coming so quickly, Luce. I wanted to share this as soon as I found it. Mavis said you weren't down in the nursery today, so I figured any time would work."

She nodded and smiled at the large table full of papers. There were maps, pictures, and documents thrown about the room and surfaces. In the corner, a man could be seen through the laptop. He had pale skin and blond hair like Mavis.

"This is Pack Informer Aalbert Ridder of the Hendrix Pack up in northern Canada."

"Greetings, I'm glad I can help you, folks."

"He is part of a pack of Dutch descendants and knows more about the Gratis pack. He knows more than I ever did."

Regina and Atta sat down at the table and let Aalbert explain.

"Attalo is right; I actually met the Alpha of the Gratis pack. There was a ship full of werewolves from the Netherlands that landed in New York. No one knew anyone in America, so the group decided to stick together, later forming this pack."

"They crossed up into Canada and formed their pack. For years they traveled across Canadian mountains and forests. From what the Alpha said, they would spend some time down in Idaho if they needed more recourses they couldn't find here."

"Because they traveled and crossed out border so many times, we grew to be friends. We are the largest pack, covering most of Canada. They even trusted us enough to stay on our land to give birth to a pup. That also means we have records of the whole pack, up until they disappeared."

Hope started to grow in Regina's chest. Aalbert would show information and pictures, and they would finally know her family, where she came from, who she was.

"There were only three young girls in the pack matching Regina. One was a white wolf, a gray one, and a brown one. They never shifted; only the adults did. Is this your wolf?"

The man was replaced by a picture of a family of wolves. Two adults stood guard of two pups, one a mixed gray and the other was a dark green shade. The pups stood between the adult's legs, one white and blending into the snow and another gray with amber eyes.

"That's Regina, the gray pup. When her wolf steps forward, her eyes are amber."

Regina didn't know what to say. She just wanted to reach through the laptop and grab that picture. Her family was right there, inches away from her face. They had finally found her family.

Aalbert moved the paper so he could read the words at the top.

"According to our records, this is Marielle and Ollie Van Hoof with their two girls. They all came from the Netherlands. Congratulations, Regina, these are your parents."

There was a new paper featuring a man and woman; both had blonde hair and eyes varying shades of blue. They didn't look anything like Regina. Her hair was dark, and her eyes green, the opposite of these people.

Atta didn't say anything, and they turned to face each other. Without even talking, they both knew these people might have raised her, but they weren't her birth parents. That meant there were more questions and fewer answers.

"The problem is that we still don't know what happened to Gratis. About five years ago they just, never showed up. We thought they had either joined human society or found a pack to join. I'm sorry, but I don't have anything else for you."

Another dead end.

Regina smiled at Atta and left the room. What was she expecting, they would find her parents within a month of searching? Her hopes were raised too high, and now they were shattered. Maybe she would never see them; Regina would just have to stick with the family she had made for herself.