Pt 27. One Step Closer

The heart monitor kept time, ticking like a bomb to Xander's final breaths. But it also meant it was another second that Xander was alive. Mavis wasn't sure if she hated or loved the stupid machine.

"Have you slept at all, Mavis?

The woman sighed, brushing a black lock away from the man's face.

"I don't want to, Polo, the dreams are worse than reality. Here, I can imagine him waking up and Regina coming home."

"Atta is worried."

Of course, her Fated was, she hadn't been home in weeks. Mavis loved her husband; she really did. But walking past Regina's empty room, it was just as bad as seeing Mira's closed door. She couldn't do it anymore.

Atta understood; he spent most of his time in the Beta's room anyway. They spent every meal and spare time together, but they never went home. It wasn't a home anymore, just an empty house with too many memories.

"How is Xander."

Polo shuffled his feet and pulled out his notebook; he didn't like looking at the report.

"His breathing is getting weaker; the signs say he will give up sometime soon."

Mavis let out a trembling breathe. It was what she thought exactly; his body would give up without his Fated. Wolves weren't meant to live alone.

With one final forehead kiss goodbye, Mavis stood and left the room.

Winter had been long, too long. Weeks passed, and they were still stuck in the packhouse, unable to do a single thing.

After they announced the Polar Vortex, Atta had talked to Lotta Lunare; they live close to where Mathias's last signal came from. But they said there weren't any packs in that area; they would need to search on foot. But then Idaho had a storm and locked them in also.

Regina was there, staring them in the face. And yet, with every single step Mavis made, Regina seemed further away. They knew everything; Bloody Claw attacked the Gratis pack, and Regina managed to escape from them only for them to kidnap her again. People had last seen them at the eastern edge of Idaho; Mavis knew precisely where and Mathias fit the profile. But they couldn't reach them.

It frustrated her to no end. It was all there in front of them, but they kept slipping between their fingers. Because of this, they spent all of November alone in the packhouse, praying that Regina was alright.

There was hope, though. The Polar Vortex had officially stopped yesterday, and now they just needed to wait for a bit of snow to melt, and they could finally do something.

Reaching the Alpha's office, Mavis knocked once before letting herself in.

"Based on the satellite images and GPS, he is located near this lake."

The Gamma pointed at the water and motioned to the area near it.

"We can use this, can't we? Border sensors can't be over water; there would be too many alarms. And it looks like the lake is part of a camping area. If there isn't a border, we can go along the water."

"You're right, Jake, and with these temperatures, the lake should freeze. Once it is, we can walk right to Mathias."

The Gamma looked up from the map, smile on his face. The Alpha, Beta, Jake, and Atta shared in his joy while Mavis stayed in the room's back.

"What about Lotta Lunare, Attalo?"

"They are ready and waiting, Alpha. Gamma Ally is excited for the chance to fight, and Alpha Marcos has promised warriors to be there when we need them."