Pt 18. The Weak Warrior

Regina never saw the wolves coming. They were so focused on the date that the scent of death went totally unnoticed.

They shot out of the woods all at once. Regina and Xander turned to the woods, and Xander reacted first by shifting. His thin wolf wasn't much of a match, but thankfully two wolves came out to fight.

Regina was frozen. How many times had she been attacked now? And yet, her legs still refused to move as Xander was tackled to the ground. He mentioned he was the rank of a tracker, a wolf that didn't have the best fighting skills.

Her Fated was fighting; she even recognized Atta's and Mavis's wolves. Everyone was fighting, even though there were only eight in total. But she couldn't

It didn't make any sense; survival meant fighting or fleeing, not freezing. But all Regina could see where her family members dying, being ripped to shreds. A little white wolf running into the woods, bloodthirsty wolves right behind her. There was no use fighting; they were all going to die.

'Are you going to let them?'

What else could she do? She wasn't a fighter, and rogues are ruthless.

'Are you going to let this happen? This time and in the future? You have special powers deep within you, the ability to protect those you love. You can fight, so are you going to stay useless?'

Before Regina could do anything, the power was gone, and Viribus was buried deep inside. Looking around, the three wolves were standing over the motionless rogues. The fight was over, they had won, and Regina had done nothing.

'You okay, Luce? Did you get hurt?'

She numbly shook her head as Mavis came up to her, followed by Atta and Xander. The wolves circled her, her parents giving her reassuring nods and licks. Eventually, they stepped away, letting Xander make sure his Fated was safe.

Sometime after, all three shifted and found clothes. Regina followed along as they got into the car and drove back to the packhouse. Xander kept touching her, rubbing her hand or her arm. Mavis was driving, so Atta would look back to make sure she was okay.

Rogues had attacked her several times by now; it seemed to be quite common. Yet, she couldn't fight. Maybe it was fear, shock, or something else. She just couldn't fight; she couldn't even move. And that had to change.

If she were attacked again, she would have to know how to fight back. Viribus also spoke about her needing to fight some evil in the world. Whether she wanted to or not, the day would come where Regina would need to fight.

She couldn't tell this to Mavis and Atta. They would say she would never have to fight and say that training would be too dangerous. Xander would agree; all of them would be overprotective. In the end, she would end up under lock and key with three wolves watching her.

Regina remained almost unresponsive on the way to the packhouse. Xander kept trying to get her to move, and when she failed to, he would send a worried look to the parents. She hadn't reacted like this before, and that worried Mavis and Atta.

Like a zombie, Regina shuffled into the house and was settled on the couch.

"Are you okay? Were you hurt?"

She needed to learn, but who could teach her? Her parents and Xander were ruled out, her uncle was hours to the south, and she didn't know anyone in the pack. Aisha would somehow end up saying something to Mavis and ruin the whole plan.

"Regina, I'm getting worried."

Sergio! He was a warrior; he had taken all those intruders down and the rogues when she was in the woods. And, because he was a warrior, he would understand and treat her fairly. This could work; she could sneak out and have him teach her how to fight. That way, when someone attacks again, she would be able to fight back for once.