Bute

Daya's POV 

After a kind of long uber ride that Vince texted me through with a bunch of things not to do I arrive at Ziyah's house just as the sky begins to transform into a lavender. I'm not worried about mom considering she said she might be at the photoshoot until morning which seems extreme, but I guess that goes with the job of being a publicist. Plus she's making up for some days she had to take off when she was too sad to get out of bed. At least that's what Vince says since I'm not too sure about my mother's being due to the fact I've spent the last weekends with my dad. 

I shake those thoughts out of my head as I make my way up the pathway to Ziyah's front door. Thinking of how I'm keeping a secret and risking our relationship it takes me a second to knock, but I do, and I press my head to the door to hear sounds of girls yelling. 

I take a peek into the house through one of the small windows to see the oddest sight of a girl's long legs in the air. I don't get a long moment to evaluate what's happening, and the door opens to Ziyah. He looks cute as always as a smirk dances across his face and he runs a hand through his dreads. It sounds weird, but everytime I see him the nervous part of me takes over and I become the same girl who was flustered right after Ziyah first laid his lips on mine. 

"Hey babe," he says. His voice is the same nice tone as usual, and he gives me a nice sweet kiss less passionate than the one we shared when we were home alone. 

"I'm so sorry," Ziyah says as he begins to lead me into his house. 

"For wh-"

"Zi look I can do a handstand!" a girl's voice booms. With a lot of hesitation Ziyah leads me through the greeting room and into the living room where the first thing I see is a girl's bare butt as she's upside down barely able to keep her slim legs balanced. Not too far from her is a blonde girl in a dress that's too tight with greenish blue streaks throughout her greasy hair. So this is what Ziyah has to be sorry about. 

"You go girl," the blonde girl cheers. She jumps up and down and pulls her sleeveless dress just as its about to reveal her chest. 

Ziyah looks from the girls to me. "Daya this is my sister Bree and her friend Harper, Bree this is my girlfriend." Oh shit I totally forgot Ziyah had another sister besides Angela. Yes this is the sister he told me 'was a wild one from time to time' when we were walking back from school one day. Ziyah also told me she threw up on Henry Claiborne's shoes and used to fight every week when she was in highschool. 

"Huh?" Bree says. Suddenly she moves to the side and falls on the floor making a thud sound. Hannah jumps on the ground with her and Ziyah and I move closer to them to see Hannah hugging Bree as their limbs scramble on the floor. In unison Ziyah and I both tilt our head to the side looking down at them as they struggle to get off the ground. It takes some minutes and me offering my hand, but both of them get off the ground and adjusts themselves with their boozy and jocular smiles. 

"Who is this!" Bree shouts. Bree leans on Hannah and Ziyah gets closer to me. 

"I'm Daya," I say. Bree and Hannah continue to hold each other and I don't bother sticking my hand out because their eyes look like what I imagine Vince's did when he was in Ms. Martin's class. 

"You're cute, and black, you know like bute, ahh bute!" Bree screams. Between her and Angela I  can't see why Bree is Ziyah's favorite, but knowing Ziyah I'm sure there is a reason that doesn't involve all of the alcohol I smell.  

The smell gets worse when Bree wraps her arms around me, and I don't pay too much attention to it but as we separate little specks of white on Bree's nostrils become visible. It's probably just sugar or salt or baking soda, I hope. No it's not Daya come on keep it a bean.