Snitch

Daya's POV Triggering content

Caylee, Alyssa, and I are outlining our pilot scripts outside of the academy and bouncing ideas off of each other. My mom is scheduled to pick me up, and even though the building where she works is less than 20 minutes away I've gotten comfortable sitting on this cold pavement passing an Arizona iced tea around like it's a bottle of beer. Our heads our buried in our notebooks as if it's the week before finals and we know nothing, but it's the complete opposite and forming our first drafts that we will be presenting to each other in the next few weeks. 

After some minutes of vigorous writing Caylee puts her notebook down and Alyssa and I follow suit hearing the loud smack of her notebook on the ground. "Ok this is going to sound pretty random, but do you guys think about your parents past?" she asks. 

Alyssa takes a long sip of the Arizona and then puts it back in the middle of us. "Yeah that is pretty random," she says. 

Caylee stands up looking down at us and giving us a look of her pink dress that clings to her body and matches with her sparkling pink hair ties. "Well see I wanna do this pilot about like a daughter's life, but it lie flashes back and contrasts to her dad's, I don't know its weird, but it just got me thinking about the fact my parents actually had lives before me." Caylee does a little shrug and then sits back down to take a sip of the Arizona that is pretty addicting. The flavor is Cherry and Lime and the cans are so big when all three of us walked to the corner store we decided to just have one. Which completely saved my ass because I don't have any money on me. 

Alyssa moves her head side to side. "I don't know my mom is one of those people who just lives in the present and doesn't speak of her past she barely keeps any photographs." 

As my thoughts mix together my smile drops as my mom flashes through my mind. "My mom has a ton of photo albums, but they're all piled up in the back of her closet," I say. 

Caylee rest her head in her palm. "Does she let you see them?" 

As if the answer is like 2 plus 2 equals 4 I say, "No, they're hers, and she's pretty protective over her stuff." My mom doesn't have bright yellow tape covering her belongings, but I know if I dare step into her room there's an invisible barrier encompassing all that she owns. Heck the barrier is around her too, and I can feel it when she gives me one of those half hugs. 

"Damn that's rough, my mom is like on that what's mines is yours stuff," Alyssa says. 

"Thats cool," Is all I can say. Really I don't think Alyssa knows how much I would trade my relationship for something where my mom doesn't scream at me for eating her can of soup. 

"Yeah we share clothes and stuff, but she takes it too far, and walks around the house but ass, I mean I get it I'm the reason she has stretch marks, but a robe would be nice." We all laugh, but mine is a bit forced and I bounce my pen up and down in my hand. 

For a moment I'm not even with them and just preoccupied with my thoughts sorting out each one of them. I don't see Alyssa or Caylee's face, and just my mom's staring back at me getting ready to kick me out of the apartment. My mom would never walk around naked with me, she didn't even teach me how to put on a tampon on ,I had to learn from a very detailed Youtube video. 

Snapping me out of my daze of listening to my mom singing and watching her be so closed off Caylee snaps her porcelain white coffin shaped fingers. "Daya you here?" she says and the memories are gone, and I'm back to looking at them. 

I bink a few times. "Sorry I was just thinking." 

"Mhmm on a whole other planet," Caylee says.