Dead Baby Bike Race

"I'm tired," Emily grumbled, resting her head against the counter. Derek walked behind her, buttoning up his shirt, "I don't like being friends with you. You show me crappy movies and drag me away from my actual intern friends." She glanced at the clock on the microwave. "We've been doing this for a week and I can't work on two hours of sleep per day."

"Oh," He smiled, raising his eyebrows. "Well, eat breakfast and we'll get coffee," The fish did smell appetizing. Pushing herself up, she frowned at her wrinkled clothes. Her sweater was riding up her side and she pushed it down again. Pulling a fork deftly with her left hand, she dragged the plate closer, spearing some meat and shoving it in her mouth.

"You know," She mumbled as she chewed, "that's not enough. I've had coffee every single day and I'm still exhausted. But, having you as a cook has its perks,"

"What is that suppose to mean," He asked, shoving a binder into his bag. "Finish or you'll be late," The neurosurgeon added as an afterthought. Big brother Derek always trying to keep his siblings on time.

"It means," She munched purposefully on her last bite, "that you're a good chef. Take it as a compliment, Derek." The man grabbed her dish, washing it quickly. He leaned across the counter before reeling back, nose scrunched up.

"You need to shower," He told her, grabbing his jacket off the hook. "You smell like alcohol. Old alcohol." When she still didn't move, he grabbed her, dragging her towards his small shower.

"Fine," She supported her own weight, pulling her shirt over her head. He smiled amusedly, walking to the exit.

"I'll wait for you in the car," He threw his keys, catching them before walking out. Sighing, she shed herself of all her clothes, stepping into the cold shower. Shivering, she lathered her hair quickly, soaping up her hands and washing her body. As she did so, the water warmed and she regretted leaving the warm haven. Awake now, she grabbed a clean towel, wrapping it securely around her head as she put on her old clothes again. Deciding that her hair wouldn't be too slow to dry, she grabbed her own jacket, running into Derek's car.

"Hey," She said breathlessly, pulling her hair from under her shirt.

"You're dripping all over my car,"

"At least I smell good." She returned playfully as he started up the engine.

.

"Dr. Bailey," Emily greeted as she walked up to the crosswalk.

"Morning, Dr. Bailey," Derek addressed and the resident raised a hand to silence him.

"Shut up,"

"You realize that I'm an attending and you're only a resident - that you work for me, right?" Emily laughed at Derek's surprised tone.

"Leave it to you to pull rank. Be her intern, no one says no to Bailey. Or tells her otherwise," The brunette told Derek. Her own coffee warmed her fingers as she sipped it gratefully.

"I know I've forgotten something," The short-haired woman continued in her thoughts, "Something is happening today. I know I should know what it is, but I just can't..." She trailed off, looking around for clues. Derek shared a look with Emily who shrugged.

"Alright, nice talking with you, Bailey,"

"It's right in front of my face,"

"Oh, my god." Emily froze, her eyes wide, "it's the Dead Baby Bike Race,"

"Watch out!" Bailey grabbed the neurosurgeon's arm, pulling him back. Men on bikes raced past them, whooping and hollering, cars beeping at them. Men crashed into obstacles, groaning in pain as Emily huddled closer to Derek and Bailey. "Dr. Shepherd, watch out," As a man crashed near their feet, Derek jumped out of the way. "Watch out," They flailed around, probably looking idiotic but safe.