Blueberry Scones

"How's plastics with Sloan?" Emily jested as Alex came by with his dry cleaning. The man glared as he went into the attendings lounge to drop it off and popped right back out moments later. The two walked through the halls as she penned in notes on the book she was reading about orthopedics.

"Whatever. Soon, he'll let me in on a surgery." The two went down the stairs and Emily went behind the desk to log into the computer. Alex grabbed his patient's chart, beginning to write something in as her fingers tapped the keys. Logging in with her ID and password, she began to log in her hours with ortho.

"Right, whatever you say, Dr. Karev." Sighing, she saw the loading circle and leaned back in the office chair. As she waited, she watched Alex write whatever he was writing subconsciously. Her feet spun the chair a quarter to face him when suddenly there was a plup and a bag was set next to the computer. Mark was there, leaning beside her mousepad and she frowned at the tissue paper that adorned the inside and was popping out.

"What's this?" she asked with a frown when he placed a bag on the table next to her. Alex gave her a look and she widened her eyes in response before turning to face the bag completely. "Sloan..."

"Remember the sexual reassignment surgery last week?" Nodding, she straightened up and took the bag. He pulled it away.

"Uh-uh. Wait." Remembering now, her mouth dropped open.

"Sloan, I was kidding."

"Yeah, but I made a promise to do better," he said quietly and she stared up into those blue eyes. They glowed unassumingly with a warmth that settled in her veins and burned her slowly from inside out. "Let me explain the gift first."

"Fine." Leaning back, she crossed one leg over the other as Izzie came up to Alex, having been assigned to shadow him today. The blonde stared at Emily and the brunette managed to tear her gaze away from Mark to see her two friends cock their heads before Izzie leaned over to Alex and whispered something.

"Listening, jailbait?"

"Hm, yeah." Turning to Mark, she scooted her chair closer to the bag. It wasn't labelled but it was a nice pastel purple.

"I thought of what gift to get you. For a long time. Spent a whole night on it, actually." He absently tugged at some of the tissue paper before letting his hand drop. "You aren't like other girls. Probably wouldn't have appreciated jewelry since you wouldn't get a chance to wear it often, and we're doctors, all the time, so I didn't get you something like that.

"You're not getting to the point."

"Let me explain," Mark said, sitting half on the counter. "I just want you to understand why I gave you this."

"Okay..."

"You probably like something practical and stylish. When we last went to get drinks, I saw that some of the buttons on your old coat were missing, and the edges were fraying so I decided to take that into my own hands. Here, take it."

The bag was big and when she peered inside, it was a beautiful cream colour that made her heart stop. Pulling it out carefully, she felt the luxurious make, the stitching, the way the fabric layered against itself in elegant wrinkles. She never thought wrinkles could look so graceful. Biting her lip, she peered at the buttons and the thin sash around the waist. It was the most gorgeous trench coat she had ever seen.

"Mark, I can't take this. It's beautiful. It's-" She paused, looking at the tag at the nape of the neck- "Yves Saint-Laurent? Are you kidding me? These are like eight grand a coat!" Staring at the trench coat in her hands, unable to comprehend how much this actually cost, she couldn't make her mouth form more words. "Mark, I can't take this. I really can't. How am I going to pay you back?"