The perfect day

You never know the biggest day of your life is the biggest day. Not until it's happening. You don't recognize the biggest day of your life, not until you're right in the middle of it. The day you commit to something or someone. The day you get your heart broken. The day you meet your soulmate. The day you realize there's not enough time, because you wanna live forever. Those are the biggest days. The perfect days.

-Izzie Stevens

She got out the gate with a sigh. Noah and Theresa stood beside her, smiling tiredly. "Come on, let's get to the Archfield, sweetheart," her brother told his wife and she agreed as they began to make their way to the conveyor belt where there luggage was being pushed out. "Emily, you're staying at Mark's right?"

"Yep. You guys have fun and have lots of sex. I'll see you at the wedding," she teased and they both flared a bright red as Theresa swatted at her sister-in-law. "What?"

"Like that's what you aren't going to do? Good joke. Weddings, romance, equals-" Theresa's voice lowered so her brother wouldn't hear. He turned away anyway, making a face- "lots and lots of really good sex." Emily laughed as she spotted her bag and hauled it off.

Noah grimaced as he hauled Theresa and his luggage. "I'm just glad Tom is babysitting the kids with Taylor. They'll break them before we come back."

"That's probably true," Theresa agreed with a laugh just as Emily's phone rang. At the caller ID, the brunette rolled her eyes.

"Hey, Dr. Avery. Yes, I've landed safely, before you ask."

"Good! Is Jackson there to pick you up?" She looked around as they continued wheeling their way through the airport. Noah and Theresa were up ahead, chatting and sharing occasional kisses when they finally got through the customs gate. "He should be. I arranged specifically-"

"Dr. Avery, I don't need you to do that!" She laughed when she finally spotted Jackson. "Found him, sir. I seriously hate you for that."

"No, you don't. It's way cheaper," Harper snorted and she stifled a chuckle as she bid farewell to her brother and sister-in-law. "I presume I can hang up now. I have a liver transplant to get to." She grinned at the surgeon's faux-annoyed tone.

"Yes, Dr. Avery. Goodbye and good luck." He hung up as she strolled up to Jackson with a bright smile. The younger Avery hugged her.

"It's been a while."

"Yes, it has," she agreed and they walked to the car. "I'm not expected for another hours. Wanna catch a coffee?"

"Sure. I know a great place." It seemed she had found another friend in Jackson Avery, a person she had least expected to meet, and to know.

.

There was a massive crash.

That was the first thing she could comprehend. As she walked home, there was a huge crash. A car was crushed by a semi and immediately people screamed. Then, the car jackknifed across four lanes of traffic, ending with a slam into the coffee shop she and Jackson were just at. He had long since gone and for that she was grateful. She ordered the person behind her to call for an ambulance as she sprinted towards the scene. The SUV was smoking as she yanked the door open, climbing onboard. Counting eight young people, she heard the ambulances wailing in the background. Taking the pulse of the man in the driver's seat, she took his vitals by the watch on her wrist.

"I'm a doctor. I need you all to stay still or you might injure yourself. What's your name?" she directed this to the man in the driver's seat. Clicking the seat belt to release it, she palpated his abdomen. Feeling nothing hard, she inspected his chest and asked where it hurts.