Crash into me

"I want to snap my neck and die," she groaned and Mark laughed against her neck to wake her up. "I'm so tired. That is the only reason I'm allowing you to cuddle." His arm draped over her waist, he ran his hand down her arm and eventually folded his fingers over the back of her hand and onto her palm. Her fingers bent over his as he brushed his lips over the vein of her neck. She sighed, squeezing his fingers and stretched her spine against his body.

"I should come cuddle when you're exhausted more often then," he teased and she smacked him with her shoulder. The frustration was radiating off of her and he frowned. "You good?"

"I'm exhausted. I just stood beside Derek for nine hours holding a retractor."

"Well, I bet you looked great doing it." Raising their joined hands, he twisted their hands to kiss her knuckles. "You have beautiful hands." She pulled the interlaced fingers towards her chest and he let her tug him closer. "Good hands for plastics." She yawned loudly and he found it absolutely adorable as her nose wrinkled.

"Mark, let me sleep," she whined and he chuckled. "I wanna sleep."

"Okay." He lied down and wrapped her in a hug as she wiggled closer. When they settled into a comfortable position, she relaxed easier. "We have that meeting with the carotid tumour patient tomorrow morning. Nick Hanscom."

"Can you wake me up then?" she mumbled almost incoherently and he pressed his nose into her hair. Eyes closing, he just basked in her presence.

"Yeah, of course."

"Page to the E.R., let's move people!" Bailey yelled as pagers began beeping loudly. They ran to the elevator, silent with excitement as the doors opened again to reveal the calm E.R. Emily spotted Callie answering the phone as the residents filed in beside each other, tying pale yellow trauma gowns around themselves. As the Latina put down the phone and met up with Bailey, Emily tied up her hair and grabbed a pair of gloves.

"Moore, the ambulance is low on supplies and there's a pileup on the freeway. Grab some supplies - gauze, tape, intubation tubes - and restock the rig and get out. The sooner the better," Callie ordered and the brunette nodded slightly, turning to gather the listed items. Grabbing packs and packs of plastic wrapped supplies, she returned to the ambulance bay to Cristina and Izzie arguing over cardio. She passed by Meredith, leaping into the rig as the paramedics entered the front.

"Where do you keep your gauze?" she inquired, not finding it in the normal spot most ambulances had it in.

"Ray is a leftie so he likes to keep it where it's easier. He likes to personalize the rig," one of the paramedics teased and she smiled slightly. "It's on the left instead of the right."

"Hey man, I like saving lives and it just makes it faster," the other paramedic riposted just as jokingly.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm a leftie too." Emily smiled at their banter as a siren signalled another ambulance was incoming. "Found it, thanks. How 'bout your intubation tubes?" Ray turned around, a slight smile and his mouth opened to form words when Meredith's scream pierced the air.

"Emily, move!"

Whipping around, she only saw her friends' terrified faces as the crushing sound of metal deafened her ears. Her world spun as her side crashed into the shelves on the ambulance, legs banging into the bench. A resonating snap echoed in her core as she then collided with the ceiling as the rig kept flipping over.

Something dug into her somewhere but it felt numb as she tried to catch herself on something. Her fingers kept slipping and she felt something rub her skin the wrong way as her head slammed into the medical supply drawers.