Secrets over coffee

The thing people forget is how good it can feel when you finally set secrets free. Whether good or bad, at least they're out in the open. Like it or not. And once your secrets are out in the open, you don't have to hide behind them.

-Meredith Grey

Water ran warmly on her hands as she scrubbed out of her surgery. Wiping away the excess liquid and turning off the sink, she pulled her scrub cap off and took out her phone. No immediate messages - good. Webber gave her a nod as he came out as well.

"Monitor her post-op. Good work, Moore."

"Thank you, sir." The elder surgeon headed down the hall with her as they headed for elevator.

"Where are you off to next?" he asked curiously and she opened her schedule on her phone. Leaning over, Webber made a noise of approval. "Catching up on hours in your other services. I see Hunt's announcement on outcomes hasn't affected you."

"I try not to let it get to me," she admitted. "I want to keep myself busy since boards are going to come faster than I think."

"How are you balancing surgeries and being Chief Resident?"

"Well enough." Plus all the personal crap. She stared up at the lights. "Where are you going?"

"Home." He crossed his arms with a deep sigh. "I need to take a nap."

"Same here." He chuckled and she pinched the bridge of her nose, exhaustion truly weighing her down. The elevator doors opened and he exited. "Goodnight, Dr. Webber." The doors closed again and she leaned against the back of the elevator. Glancing at her phone, she let out a breath. 2:37 AM. Still on call for eight more hours.

When the elevator opened, she raised her head and got off, heading for her office. Unlocking the door, her eyebrows arched at the sleeping man on her couch. Mark snored peacefully and she smiled slightly, turning off the small lamp that was the only source of light. The room plunged into darkness and she headed out, carefully letting the door click close.

Deciding to head for an on-call room, she nearly bumped into Derek. The neurosurgeon took her by the arms, inspecting her carefully.

"Hey, Em. Have you seen Mark?"

"Yeah. He's in my office, taking up my couch." Her sour attitude could have been attributed to her lack of sleep or the fact that he took her couch. "Why?"

"Nothing. Just wanted to check up on him. Callie and I are worried."

"His dad?"

"Yeah. How's he holding up?"

"Good. Better than I'd thought," she admitted and he allowed a small smile, "Have you talked to him at all?" Running a hand over his face, the doctor shook his head guiltily.

"Since this whole thing with Meredith, it's been a bit hectic."

"Yeah, I understand." Andrew's and Carina's faces flashed in her mind. "Fifth year's starting out messy." Derek hummed thoughtfully, giving her a look. "Hey, have you ever gotten to my mom's scans?"

"Yeah. It's in the difficult spot of the brain and I need to figure out the right angle of attack." She nodded and he gave her a slight smile. "Don't worry. I'll find a way."

"You always do, Derek. I'm not worried at all." She brushed past him. "I'm going to catch up on some sleep. Night, Derek."

"Morning," he joked and she rolled her eyes, finding the closest on-call room and crashing immediately.

.

Mark woke up and raised his head, not really knowing where he was for a moment. Then he recognized it was Emily's office. Right. Getting up, he wiped away dry saliva and grabbed his lab coat. Walking out of the room, he headed down to the lobby for the coffee cart just outside the hospital as he checked his phone.