Code Black

I have a feeling that i'm going to die: Emily smiled at the text Meredith sent her. Thinking of how Izzie had sent a similar text just ten minutes before with the addition of a play by play on what Cristina had said to get the short blond out of bed, the brunette set down her breakfast banana and replied.

:i heard. You know, it might be right:

:yeah. See you at work.:

:bye:

.

"Okay," Emily's eyes bulged as she saw Alex scream at Mrs. Carlson. "Ouch, thanks Alex. You shut her up,"

"Good, okay. Now, can you tell me what exactly happened to your husband?" He asked in a quieter tone. The woman tried to formulate words before caving and sobbing into Alex's chest. "Really?" he asked to no one in particular and looking around. Seeing it as a time to rescue her friend, she gently pried Mrs. Carlson's hands off Alex and wrapped the weeping woman in a hug. Taking Alex's spot, she stroked the woman's back soothingly and settled on the bed. Go, she mouthed and he nodded gratefully, running to the elevators.

"Mrs. Carlson, it's alright now. You're, uh, kinda holding on hard." She winced as the woman's fingers dug even harder into her back. "Now, can you please tell me what's going on? Mrs. Carlson? Mrs. Carlson," She repeated and finally managed to tear herself away from the bloody woman. Her eyes were bloodshot and rimmed with red and Emily wiped at her eyes with the sleeve of her trauma gown. "Tyler, get me a gown for Mrs. Carlson." She addressed the nurse and gently took off the woman's brown jacket and purse. As she pulled the shades around the bed and changed her patient slowly, she ran through the symptoms in her head. Revealing the bed again, she gave the bloody clothes to Tyler who packed it up as the woman sat on the bed.

"All this blood and none of it is hers,"

"She's fine. Acute anxiety reaction. Two of diazepam P.O. to calm her down," she instructed, looking down at the chart they had printed off.

"She in shock?"

"I'll say. I mean the shock part. It was shocking," Mrs. Carlson scoffed, staring at the tiled floor distantly. "I'm shocked." Her voice was laced with annoyance and a bit of anger. "You tell my husband when I get my hands on him, he's a dead man, do you hear me? Scaring me like this." Her head lifted to meet her doctor's eyes. She smiled faintly, wiping away the last of the blood with a piece of gauze.

"Will do. But what for? How exactly was he injured?"

"Mindy?" a foreign voice called out and Emily pushed back the curtains even more to reveal a middle-aged man.

"Over here, you moron,"

"How's James doing?" the man asked, stopping in front of them. Emily raised an eyebrow as Mrs. Carlson snapped.

"Oh, he's bleeding all over the place. That's how he's doing. The girl in the ambulance put her hand inside of him!" Her voice rose to a near-yell before becoming full-blown. "That's how he's doing!"

"What are you yelling at me for?" the man asked innocently, thoroughly confused.

"Because! Because you and James are like idiots!" Curling her lip, Emily rolled her eyes and shared a look with Tyler before they returned to their tasks, pretending not to listen. "Playing like eight year-olds."

"Excuse me-" She tried to interrupt but they quickly overrode her with their loud volume.

"We don't play, we re-enact,"

"You play. You put on costumes and you build your stupid toys and you play," Mrs. Carlson persisted, making a hand gesture to enforce her point. The man stood his ground, shaking his head.