The building collapse

When it finally reveals itself, the future is never the way we imagined it.

-Meredith Grey

The wedding was relatively small. Despite Ella's romantic attitude, she was notoriously private in making sure no one except close and trusted family members and friends saw her in a poofy white dress she secretly loved. Then, the wedding dress was packed in a box and tucked away in their new home together near the hospital. Another bunch of interns came around and Taylor graduated from his fellowship with flying colors.

"I'm thinkin' of hanging around you for awhile," he said jokingly when she had scrubbed in on a trauma with him. "You're like a miracle worker right now. Saving lives left and right, do you ever sleep?"

"Nope. All I do is fix people." She shrugged and he smiled. Nudging her playfully, he felt a flicker of relief when she smiled back.

.

The alarm rang and she woke with a start, an immediate yawn coming out of her mouth. "What time is it?" she snapped, slapping the person beside her. Who had she stumbled into her bed with? She recognized the wallpaper of the room she stayed in at Noah's and the door was half open, revealing Theresa in the bathroom. Sitting up, she ran her hand along the wall for the light switch and flicked it on.

"What!" the someone beside her yelled and sat up with a start. Taylor's blue eyes were wide with fright as he glanced around her rapidly.

"Hey," she mumbled and there was a pause before he responded back. His face was covered in sweat and she frowned, pulling her sleeve up so her fingers could grasp it and wiping the sleeve across his head. Scrunching up her nose, she got up to the door, feeling her muscles ache. Then, did everything come back to her. After shift, they had a race on who could run around Boston faster.

Safe to say, it was the worst idea ever. Although, she had won, of course despite the multiple trips to the bathroom. Speaking of, she darted out of the room and nearly into Theresa on her way to the bathroom as she keened and promptly emptied water and acid into the toilet bowl. Her sister-in-law held her hair back until she was finished before she leaned back and sat down, head resting against the cold tiles.

"Rough day?"

"Rough everything," she said as the green-eyed woman leaned down with a towel to wipe around her mouth. "Thanks."

"You should really tone it down."

"Can't refuse a good challenge. God, I didn't think I was going to be this sore." She groaned as Taylor came out, stumbling like a zombie towards the living room.

"You're pregnant, Em. You're going to be tired, you're going to be sore. Running around Boston does that to you," Theresa mused, sitting down beside her. "Come on, get in the shower. I'll whip you up something to eat before you get to work." The woman pushed her sister towards the shower before getting up and taking out a towel for her. "Make sure you get behind the ears," she added teasingly. Emily shot her a glare as she stripped, stepping into the tub and pulling the curtain around.

"Yeah, yeah." She grumbled but felt relief when the searing water washed away any pain. It reminded her of Mark and the parts of her that ached for him hollowed out her insides. She needed him to call her.

.

Meredith knew things. Well, everyone knew things. But she had a terrible childhood so it made her susceptible of knowing when people weren't stable. Like now. Lexie was off doing some paperwork for Thatcher while Mark was keeping her busy and she was here, waiting for Bailey to come and take her to surgery. Ever since Emily had up and left, he had taken to Little Grey like a big brother.