I saw what I saw

But for so many of us, sleep seems out of our grasp.

-Meredith Grey

April Kepner was gone within the hour. She had just seen the brunette disappear from the doorway and had just part ways with Taylor who had ended the day with messy hair and blood-splattered skin. He had explained that he spent the day bolstering Lexie Grey's confidence when a hard case came in. "Lexie? You're interested in her?" It had brought a genuine smile to her face when Taylor blushed. "Isn't that cute?"

"Shut up."

"No, seriously. I think it'd be really cute," she insisted and he shoved her away with a snort.

"Don't you have an appointment with Dr. Wyatt tomorrow morning?" Immediately, the mood became somber. He had chosen the wrong topic to switch to. Looking down at her shoes, she nodded. "Then go get some sleep. In your own bed. You've been at the hospital for the whole week."

"Okay." It was unsettling how swiftly the woman's smile faded from her face and how her posture seemed to sag. Taylor couldn't bare to see it. Her eyes flickered up to meet his and he put on a smile, throwing his head in the direction of the resident's lounge. Walking past him, she had this resigned mask that schooled her features into one of neutral anger. Her mouth twitched into a frown and her eyebrows knitted together as she shoved her hands in her pockets.

.

Rebecca and Hunter screamed as Tom huddled around them. His eyes peeked over his shoulder as Emily told him to go. He shook his head, sending the children on their way before turning around and helping her carry the man.

The metal groaned and concrete cracked as spider webs of cracks spread across the floor, faster and faster. The ground split between her hands and there was a loud crumbling crash as stone and dust rained on her face. The floor tore apart underneath her and she found herself floating in the air. Suspended, she was transported to a black realm as bodies fell all around her. Crawling to the nearest two, she felt her heart slam to a stop when they were both Tom. All of them were Tom. Curling into a ball, she closed her eyes and tried to block it out as the cacophony of metal and rock

Something slammed into her side and she spat out blood. She was so tired. Everything was slower as Tom slowly disintegrated until nothing was left and she collapsed, lying on the cold floor. He was gone again, was the only thought echoing in her mind. Emily couldn't take the loss again. Not when the facade she had put up was slowly cracking...

But something wouldn't let her die. The earth seemed to quake, shaking with unmatched strength until-

"Emily!" She woke up with a start, slapping off whoever was shaking her. Her face drenched in sweat, she opened her eyes and saw Mark nursing a red mark on his face. He was in his scrubs, all ready for work. She realized then that she was in an on-call room. She had crashed here last night.

Groaning, she realized what had happened. She wanted to prevent Mark from waking up and had resorted to sleeping on the bed she was in now. Except obviously it didn't work and he found her. "What?"

"Are you okay?" he asked in concern, removing the hand he had pressed to his cheek. With guilt, she saw the red slap mark she had given him. "You seemed to be having a bad dream." She sat up and he rubbed a thumb over her cheek, collecting tears she didn't know were there until he did so, "and you're crying." The stinging sensation had yet to leave her eyes as she rubbed them. Sniffing, she rubbed the crick in her neck.

"Yeah." Her voice shook. "I'm okay. It was just bad memories." Getting up, she grabbed her lab coat as Mark kissed her temple, following after her. "I'm going to shower, okay?"