In Love

Hey guys! This is really random and stuff but I couldn't think of anything else to write so I hope you will enjoy it. Warning: It's very emotional! I mean some serious strong feelings and confessions! I wouldn't consider this cheesy at all, but maybe others will so cheese warning 😂  but a quick summary: Nuffink is in love with his best friend but she's together with a verbally and sometimes physically abusive guy and she takes it out on him after he threatens her. Nuffink turns to his dad for advice and things get emotional from then on.

   "You don't even know me Nuffink! And you don't notice me! Just go away and leave me alone!"
**************
   Hiccup yawned as he descended the stairs late one night, intending to go and find a midnight snack in the kitchen. But as he came into the living room, the fireplace lighting it with a warm, homey glow, he saw his son sitting in front of the fire hugging his knees.
   "Nuffink? Why are you up so late?"
   The young man sighed and turned rested his chin on his knees. "I can't sleep."
   Hiccup sat down next to him, a small pinch in his joints reminding him that he was not as young as he once was. "Something on your mind?"
   Nuffink blushed. "You could say that.."
   "Uh oh. Tell me all about it." He replied knowingly.
   The blonde haired boy Dana hand through his hair nervously before the question exploded out of him.
   "Have you ever liked someone so much that just hearing her name or—or the sight of her makes you smile like an idiot? Just the sound of her voice was like Valhalla on the archipelago?"
   Hiccup couldn't help but smile.   "Yes, Nuffink. Is that the way you feel about Carmen?"
   The boy blushed deeper. "How did you know?"
   "I've seen the way you act around her. She makes you smile like there's no tomorrow. And I've also seen how protective you are over her."
   This was true. Nuffink had fallen for Carmen the moment he had laid eyes on her. Hiccup had seen them together many times. His son's smile was never brighter than when he was around her, and it reminded him of himself and a certain blonde haired woman.
   "Well it's not like it matters now. I messed up."
   Hiccup's eyes widened. "What happened?" 
   Nuffink's voice got shaky as he recounted the earlier events of the day. "We were at our spot near the river. She likes it there because she loves the smell of the fresh water... I don't know how it started but we got into a fight and she said that I didn't know her and that I didn't notice her... how could she think that? I mean...she's my world dad. And it's not fair because she's with that jackass from the clan in the north. Ever since he came to visit she's been so on edge. But.. even then how could she think it? I do notice her." A single tear rolled down his cheek and his father pulled him in for a hug.
   "You know... when I was fifteen I had a huge crush on this girl. I mean she'd walk into the room and I'd just melt. But uh.. she hated me."
   "She did?"
   "Well not at first. At first I was completely invisible to her... but then I started to get good at dragon training and she despised it." He chuckled. "Oh how she hated it. I remember at one point she almost put an axe into my skull and then she stomped on my face to get it free from my shield which it had gotten stuck in. But I still thought she was just the most amazing person."
   Nuffink sat up and shot him a look of disbelief. "No way."
   "Oh aye."
   "Well what happened? Did you ever get anywhere with her?"
   A grin spread across the man's face. "I married her."
   Nuffink's mouth fell open in shock. "You met mom when you were fifteen?!"
   "Yep. It took a long time before anything happened, and honestly I wish I would have confessed my feelings sooner. Because as it turned out she had felt for me too all along."
   "But—"
   "My point is, you have to tell people how you feel about them when you feel it, Nuffink. I don't care what she said, she likes you too. It's obvious to someone who's been in love.."
   "Well she's mad at me now." Nuffink rested his head in his hand.
   "Go talk to her."
   "Now?"
   "That's up to you."
****************
   A young red haired woman sat up in bed as a pebble clinked against her window.
   "What the—?"
   Several more pebbles hit the window and she jumped up to see Nuffink Haddock underneath.
   "Oh you have got to be kidding me!"
   The girl snuck outside and dragged the boy into the woods, towards the river.
   "What do you want, Nuffink? It's in the middle of the night!" Carmen shouted at him.
   "I know you."
   "You don't know me! We've been over this."
   Nuffink huffed and glared at her. "Your birthday is August 22. Your favorite color is yellow because it reminds you of sunshine. Your middle name is Bailey, your favorite thing to do is swim in this river with me. You love hugs because they make you feel loved and protected, but only certain people can get away with hugging you. You won't ever admit it but you're scared of a lot of things because you've been through a hell of a lot of scary things and you're afraid of getting hurt. You hate the cold with a burning, fiery passion. When you get married you want to have three kids, to boys and a girl. And I know you want to be a healer. I know you, Carmen! You can't just decide that I don't..."
   Tears filled the girl's eyes. "Nuffink..."
   "And I NOTICE you! I've noticed that you play with the bracelets on your left wrist when your anxious. I notice that you talk a little less when your mad, especially when you're mad at me. You tend to keep your head down when you're embarrassed, and you don't know how many times I've noticed that you bite your lip when you don't know what to say!"
   Carmen stopped biting her lip....
   Nuffink sighed again, leaning against a large boulder. "Let me just clear the air here so you know how I feel before you decide to throw me away like yesterday's trash."
   "..O-okay."
   "You have no idea how much I like you. How much you make me smile, how much I love to be near you, or how much I wish you were mine. No one can make me smile like you can. The thing is, you make me happy. So, so happy. You walked into my life and I've never been the same since. You've always been there for me and I love you for that. I never have to pretend when I'm around you. You make me laugh, like, all the time. You just seem to know all the right words to say to make it all okay. You're just amazing, Carmen. So there you go, that's how I feel. I know you're with that jerk but.. if I were your boyfriend I'd pepper you in kisses and spoil you so badly it'd drive you crazy. I....I think I'm falling for you Carmen. And I know that sucks and it's horrible timing but.. As I once read it... Meeting you was by fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was completely beyond my control. And I think you're crazy if you're going to choose a man that hits you everyday over someone who's going to love you for who you are and treat you with the respect you deserve."
   "Nuffink!" She burst out crying and he rushed to her, enveloping her into his arms, one of his hands coming up to the back of her head.
   "I'm so sorry I yelled at you.." she whimpered.
   "It's okay." He replied as he clung to her tighter, desperate for the feeling of her in his arms and against his chest.
   "I'm not going to be able to fix all of the hurt he caused you, Carmen. But just know, from this moment on you will not have to face that jackass alone ever again."