- 𝔰𝔦𝔵. ミ

╲⠀╲⠀╲ ╲

⠀⠀╲⠀╲⠀☆⠀ ╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀☆⠀╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ★

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀★

june 1858

"'appy birthday, mate!" George held out a jar-shaped object with a grin, which was poorly wrapped in old newspaper. "'ere's yer presen'." 

"Aye, thanks!" Paul's eyes widened with shock before the freshly-turned sixteen year old reached out a hand and took it from his friend. David watched on with excited eyes. The three were sitting cross-legged in the single bedroom of Paul's house, the cold, hard stone floor harsh against them. There had just been a gathering for his birthday (though not much had happened, just his immediate family and his two friends eating some special food and talking and Paul getting some money) before the three young boys disappeared to the next room.

"Woah, mate! A jar o' honey, thanks!" The doe, forest-eyed boy gasped in slight shock, eyes wide. Honey was quite expensive and something they didn't have often. "Ye didn't 'ave ta..." Paul felt guilt rise in his chest slightly as he gazed at his dark-eyed friend in gratitude.

"Nah, nah. It's yer birthday, mate. 'm fine wi' spendin' a bit more." George smirked out of the corner of his mouth, eyes shining kindly at his best friend. 

"I got sumthin' fer ye too, Paul!" David's eyes lit up with recognition before he started to rummage through his pockets. "Sorry, isn't much. Da' didn't let me buy anythin'." The multi-coloured-eyed boy smiled sadly and held out a hand, where about five shillings were. 

"Ye didn' even 'ave ta get me anythin' at all... thanks, Bowie." Paul gave another joyful smile as David dropped the few shillings into Paul's hand. "I can buy some sweets wi' this!!" 

"Let's go steal yer dad's whiskey, yeah? Let's 'ave a party like them rich people do!" David raised an eyebrow, mischief spread across his face. 

"Yeah, Paul! Let's do tha'!" George brightened with a grin, jumping up and helping the two boys to their feet. There was something that flashed in George's eyes, and Paul could almost feel what was coming. "Can I invite John, or-"

"No. It's my birthday. I decide." His mood soured considerably, the boy turning away and strutting off. "Let's go get Ringo an' get some drinks." 

They didn't talk much on the walk there. David and Paul chatted to each other for a bit, George walking a few metres behind with a crestfallen expression, hands in his pockets and shoulders hunched slightly. But afterwards, the three just trekked in silence, pushing past people in the crowded dirty streets before turning a corner, which took them to the richer part of the city. The streets became cleaner and everything more polished, the people more distinguished and proper.